none
Unable to access NAS by name over VPN

    Question

  • I am connected to our office server from a remote connection at home using vpn.

    I can access shared drives on the server with no problem, but I cannot access shares on our NAS drive which is connected to the office network. Actually I can see the shared folders if I use the IP address of the NAS drive but it doesn't work when using the name.

    I have tried specifying the server address as the DNS server for the VPN connection, and I have tried explicitly specifying the dns suffix for the vpn address using our network's .local address, but neither seem to make any difference.

    If I use nslookup from a command prompt it does not resolve the address. However if I use RDP to connect to our server, the same command also does not resolve from there, but I can access the drive by name there.

    Is there something I need to set-up in WSE to allow this, is it a problem with my client connection, or is it likely to be a setting on the NAS drive itself?

    Any suggestions appreciated.

    Thursday, May 3, 2018 12:37 PM

All replies

  • Hi,

    Based on your description, it seems to be DNS relate problem.

    Please try to clear DNS cache (ipconfig /flushdns) and list DNS cache(ipconfig /displaydns) to make sure there is no conflicting entry. Then, try again.

    Besides, please check Control Panel - Credential Manager, make sure there is no conflicting entry.

    Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

    Friday, May 4, 2018 9:03 AM
    Moderator
  • Hi,

    How things are going there on this issue?

    Please let me know if you would like further assistance.

    Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

    Monday, May 7, 2018 1:46 AM
    Moderator
  • Sorry been away over the holiday weekend. 

    I did think it may be a DNS issue, as the NSLookup command does not find the name. However NSLookup also fails when I run it on the server in the office, but that machine can access the NAS drive, so I'm guessing the name must be being resolved by some other mechanism.

    I am not sure that something as simple as flushing the DNS cache is likely to help. This isn't something that was working and has recently stopped (although I have a vague recollection that it did used to work a few years ago, but that may have been before the PC was upgraded from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10, and possibly even before the server was upgraded to WSE 2012.

    Note also that I can access other PCs on the network in the office by name, so this suggests to me that it is likely to be an issue on the server, the NAS drive itself, or the network set-up rather than the client PC. 

    I have got a temporary workaround by using the hosts file, but this isn't a good long term solution, as the IP address of the NAS drive could potentially change in the future.

    Tuesday, May 8, 2018 10:46 AM