W3wp.exe high cpu usage RRS feed

• Question

• I've been seeing a problem on the CAS of a new install. Server is Windows Server 2008 R2 with Exchange 2007 SP3 RU5. IIS Worker process is caonsuming very high CPU useage during the day, as much as 100%. When this happens Outlook Anywhere and POP connectivity stop working. Performing IIS Reset helps then it start up again.

Have looked into iPhone issues and have applied the patch or upgraded all devices. This did not happen previously on Server 2003 with Exchange 2007 SP2. This is a new CCR deployment and since you can only cluster the mailbox role, I had to deploy a CAS. Server otherwise runs fine and did not have any problems when first deployed. After a few weeks this problem develped.

Server is patched and updated.

AppPool is MSExchangeSyncAppPool. When I look at the connection there are not many, maybe 20 and there are no errors in the event log or in the IIS logs.

Any help would be appreciated.

Wednesday, November 16, 2011 9:22 PM

Answers

• Hi Gavin,

Thank you for the information.

Based on my investigation I am certian it is being caused by iPhone and iPad access. I have gone through the logs and also pulled the statistics via Powershell. No errors but I see the connections and the connection time.

All the IOS devices are above the user agent version noted by Microsoft and Apple as problematic (801.xxx). At this point I am switching all mobile devices to a separate CAS server. By segregating them, even if they run the CPU high I will not have users lose connectivity with Outlook Anywhere or POP access.

Thanks,

Vince

• Marked as answer by Gavin-Zhang Monday, November 28, 2011 2:45 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Gavin-Zhang Tuesday, November 29, 2011 1:40 AM
    • Marked as answer by Gavin-Zhang Tuesday, November 29, 2011 1:48 AM
    Thursday, November 17, 2011 1:13 PM

All replies

• Hi VFornito,

Per yoru description, I have also run into  the issue like yours.
    As we know, it mostly caused by the IPhone devices, and normally there seems no error in the event log and IIS logs.
    But we could confirm the issue through analyzing the IIS log detailed, using LOG Parser could be a better way.
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=890cd06b-abf8-4c25-91b2-f8d975cf8c07&displaylang=en
    And other related information about the issue:
    http://blogs.technet.com/b/mikelag/archive/2008/07/15/iphone-2-0-and-high-cpu-usage-on-exchange-servers.aspx
    http://blogs.technet.com/b/exchange/archive/2010/07/01/3410271.aspx
    I would suggest that you could confirm all the devices all be updated.
    If the issue still have the issue, please block the devices and make some tests.
    http://blogs.technet.com/b/exchange/archive/2008/09/05/3406212.aspx
    And then it is better to restart the IIS service or the reboot the server.

Regards!
    Gavin

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Thursday, November 17, 2011 7:55 AM
  • Hi Gavin,

Thank you for the information.

Based on my investigation I am certian it is being caused by iPhone and iPad access. I have gone through the logs and also pulled the statistics via Powershell. No errors but I see the connections and the connection time.

All the IOS devices are above the user agent version noted by Microsoft and Apple as problematic (801.xxx). At this point I am switching all mobile devices to a separate CAS server. By segregating them, even if they run the CPU high I will not have users lose connectivity with Outlook Anywhere or POP access.

Thanks,

Vince

• Marked as answer by Gavin-Zhang Tuesday, November 29, 2011 1:48 AM
    Thursday, November 17, 2011 1:13 PM
  • Hi Vince,

Per your description,  that means if you segregate the devices, and the user would not lose the connectivity. That is good.
    After do more research, it seems no other cuase.
    If you want to confirm the exact cause, I would suggest that you could open a ticket from MS.
    Could I close the thread for you now?

Regards!
    Gavin

If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Wednesday, November 23, 2011 8:33 AM
  • Hi Gavin,

You can close the trhead but I would not call this resolved. I found a work around that I am able to use as I do have 2 CAS servers in my deployment, not everyone would have this available and this is clearly a problem. My experience with MS support has not been all that great. Typically i have to run through all the things I have laready done for them to tell me what I already know. The last 3 tickets I opened with Microsoft they were unable to resolve.

Thanks,

Vince

Monday, November 28, 2011 12:57 PM
  • Hi VFornito,

Thanks for your kindly understanding.
    Sure, some times exchange worked with the third party device maybe cuase some issue, but I think it would be improved in the future. :)
    So, I would close the case, and if there are any new update, I would let you know.

Regards!
    Gavin

If you have any feedback on our support, please contacttngfb@microsoft.com

Tuesday, November 29, 2011 1:48 AM