none
Is a locally hosted data catalog possible? RRS feed

• Question

• We have a pretty robust locally hosted SharePoint solution. We are currently working on an upgrade to SharePoint 2013 with integrated 2012 SQL Server Reporting Services with Powerview/Powerpivot.  This is to create a local instance similar to the Power BI option in the cloud.  My question is specific to Power Query in this scenario.  In the above scenario, can the Corporate Data Catalog used in Power Query be hosted locally, perhaps in the Business Data Catalog SharePoint has?
    Friday, April 10, 2015 4:16 AM

Answers

• There are no plans at this stage to have Power Query Data Catalog hosted on-prem. Could you share your business needs? Did you evaluate Power BI and the Data Catalog specifically?

The Data Catalog allows users to share queries without the actual data. The queries can be searched by users of the same tenant who have Power BI for Office 365 license.

Friday, April 10, 2015 3:15 PM

All replies

• There are no plans at this stage to have Power Query Data Catalog hosted on-prem. Could you share your business needs? Did you evaluate Power BI and the Data Catalog specifically?

The Data Catalog allows users to share queries without the actual data. The queries can be searched by users of the same tenant who have Power BI for Office 365 license.

Friday, April 10, 2015 3:15 PM
  • Thanks for your reply Gil.

I have evaluated Power BI and the Data Catalog, both public and corporate. Great tools that we pretty much will replicate with the Excel Power stack and integrated SSSRS/SharePoint with the required service applications configured and turned on.  I work at a college and so much of our data is subject to federal/state laws like FERPA and institutional security policies revolving around PII.  Even aggregating the data to the level of losing PII does not mitigate some of the legal and policy related roadblocks of posting data in the cloud.  So, we are looking at have a Power BI like solution on-prem.  I just wanted to leverage the corporate section of the Power Query's data catalog by having it point to an on-prem source. 

Friday, April 10, 2015 3:57 PM