GPO Auto-Restart Problem RRS feed

• Question

• We're having a problem with our WSUS GPO automatically restarting computers.  We specifically don't want that to happen.  These are the GPO settings:

Is something incorrect?

Thanks!

Wednesday, May 7, 2014 10:05 PM

Answers

• From that list it's hard to tell since the actual settings are held inside many of those. The key one, and the one which I suspect is causing your issue is "Configure Automatic Updates". Check the properties of that option which configures how it handles the updates, 2. Notify that they're available for download, 3. auto download but let you choose when to install them, and 4. auto download and schedule the install. I suspect you have it set to option 4 which will cause the updates to download, install and then where required restart the server, rather than option 3 which I suspect what you actually want, which will let you choose when to restart.
    • Marked as answer by Daniel JiSun Tuesday, May 13, 2014 2:52 AM
    Wednesday, May 7, 2014 10:19 PM
  • We want the updates to install automatically but not automatically reboot.  Is that a possibility?

You can do that with ConfigMgr (with some careful GPO planning, and CM settings), but it's very very difficult to reliably achieve with only WSUS.

The native behaviour of WUAgent, when running under AU control, is to start countdown timers and restart.

It's also a bit varied, depending upon the Windows OS version in question.
    (e.g. XP vs. Win7 vs. Win8)
    (Win8/8.1 also has some variable behaviour depending on the patch level)

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

• Edited by DonPick Thursday, May 8, 2014 9:01 AM
    Thursday, May 8, 2014 9:00 AM
  • I still don't understand why #4 says this:

(If a user is signed in to the computer when Windows is ready to restart, the user will be notified and given the option to delay the restart.)    

And it will still cause an automatic reboot with a user logged in.

it depends which OS the client machine is running. Some of the features/functions/behaviours are *only* applicable to WinXP and do not apply to WinVista/7/8/8.1

Lawrence has blogged about this over at Solarwinds:

http://thwack.solarwinds.com/community/application-and-server_tht/patchzone/blog/2013/03/08/configuring-the-windows-update-agent--part-1

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

• Edited by DonPick Thursday, May 8, 2014 9:35 PM
    Thursday, May 8, 2014 9:31 PM

All replies

• From that list it's hard to tell since the actual settings are held inside many of those. The key one, and the one which I suspect is causing your issue is "Configure Automatic Updates". Check the properties of that option which configures how it handles the updates, 2. Notify that they're available for download, 3. auto download but let you choose when to install them, and 4. auto download and schedule the install. I suspect you have it set to option 4 which will cause the updates to download, install and then where required restart the server, rather than option 3 which I suspect what you actually want, which will let you choose when to restart.
    Wednesday, May 7, 2014 10:19 PM
  • Thanks for the quick reply!

I did have it set to 4, I copied the explanation below, I think it was the underlined part that got me, it looks like it should notify the user if it needs to restart:

3 = (Default setting) Download the updates automatically and notify when they are ready to be installed

Windows finds updates that apply to the computer and downloads these updates in the background (the user is not notified or interrupted during this process). When the download is complete, the icon appears in the status area, with a notification that the updates are ready to be installed. Clicking the icon or message provides the option to select which updates to install.

4 = Automatically download updates and install them on the schedule specified below

Specify the schedule using the options in the Group Policy Setting. If no schedule is specified, the default schedule for all installations will be every day at 3:00 AM. If any updates require a restart to complete the installation, Windows will restart the computer automatically. (If a user is signed in to the computer when Windows is ready to restart, the user will be notified and given the option to delay the restart.)    

We want the updates to install automatically but not automatically reboot.  Is that a possibility?

Thanks!

Wednesday, May 7, 2014 10:37 PM
  • I think that is not possible to stop automaticly restart computers. Restart can be prevented (for very important servers example)only if you would login remote to the computer or some server and make disconnect after that - not log off. When update is installed you can make log in again on that server (where you disconnected earlier) and make restart manually. This option does not work if you server configured for disconnect user sessions after certain time like terminal server for example. This is my experience and I would like also to find solution for this but for now I have not found any solution. Sorry about my english.

Thursday, May 8, 2014 8:35 AM
  • We want the updates to install automatically but not automatically reboot.  Is that a possibility?

You can do that with ConfigMgr (with some careful GPO planning, and CM settings), but it's very very difficult to reliably achieve with only WSUS.

The native behaviour of WUAgent, when running under AU control, is to start countdown timers and restart.

It's also a bit varied, depending upon the Windows OS version in question.
    (e.g. XP vs. Win7 vs. Win8)
    (Win8/8.1 also has some variable behaviour depending on the patch level)

Don

• Edited by DonPick Thursday, May 8, 2014 9:01 AM
    Thursday, May 8, 2014 9:00 AM
  • If I keep the setting on #3 but set a deadline for an update, will that cause an automatic reboot?

I still don't understand why #4 says this:

(If a user is signed in to the computer when Windows is ready to restart, the user will be notified and given the option to delay the restart.)    

Thursday, May 8, 2014 9:25 PM
  • I still don't understand why #4 says this:

it depends which OS the client machine is running. Some of the features/functions/behaviours are *only* applicable to WinXP and do not apply to WinVista/7/8/8.1

Lawrence has blogged about this over at Solarwinds:

http://thwack.solarwinds.com/community/application-and-server_tht/patchzone/blog/2013/03/08/configuring-the-windows-update-agent--part-1

Don

• Edited by DonPick Thursday, May 8, 2014 9:35 PM
    Thursday, May 8, 2014 9:31 PM