none
Steady State - Want to disable Steady state to troubleshoot a problem. RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

We are a retailer that has new POS tills we are installing that has Steady State installed in our image on our main till account but not in out It Support account etc.

We have been noticing some of our software crashes repeatedly due to memory leaks caused by excessive file handles in our POS Till mode which is the account its logged into when the clerks are using the machine.   I tried one of our stores in our support mode which just had no restrictions, and everything works fine.

Im trying to eliminate Steady State as the cause, but I cannot find a way to just turn it off in this POS till profile since there is not real easy process to do this.

I backed up the POS till users account by exporting a copy within steady state, and then disabling the 5 main steady state restrictions we were using.  I then disabled all the settings and it seemed to unlock things but because I re-imported a copy of the POS till settings during some testing it seems to have wiped out the till user profile settings as they had originaly configured. 

So since we found that our till apps running in this locked down mode are having memory issues (leaks, file handles, hangups etc), I really need to proove if it is/is not related to this security software. 

We arent using the disk protection portion thank god. :)

Any ideas if there is a better way to test by disabling steady state any easier way?

POS Techie

Monday, April 5, 2010 9:43 PM

Answers

• Yes, if you simply remove Windows SteadyState, those restrictions will remain in the system. Before removing it, we always suggest users disable all restrictions including those in Set Computer Restrictions. For detailed information about the restirctions, you can use use notepad and open SCTsettings.adm in Windows SteadyState\ADM folder. However, we still suggest configure those settings in SteadyState UI if possible. You can disable the restrictions, check the issue and then re-enable them without uninstalling it.
    Sean Zhu - MSFT
    Thursday, April 8, 2010 7:19 AM

All replies

• Hi, I'm afraid that there is no easier way to disable Windows SteadyState. We have to disable all its restrictions manually.
    Sean Zhu - MSFT
    Wednesday, April 7, 2010 8:54 AM
  • Thanks.  

Im trying this at the moment.  Hopefully in the next day or two ill know if Steady state is part of my issue or not.

IF I have to remove steady state, does this mean that I have to reset all the security settings prior to uninstalling it?   What im trying to find out is, is there another way to access these same changes manually so that i can leave the restrictions in place while removing steady state as a service. 

See what I need to make sure if the problem is Steady State itself, or one of the restrictions, or something completely different.  Since it works fine in a support profile thats identical but not restricted at all.

Is there a list of the Policies or Registry entries Steady State Modifies?   We dont use the disc protection portion.

Thanks

POS Techie

Wednesday, April 7, 2010 8:04 PM
  • Yes, if you simply remove Windows SteadyState, those restrictions will remain in the system. Before removing it, we always suggest users disable all restrictions including those in Set Computer Restrictions. For detailed information about the restirctions, you can use use notepad and open SCTsettings.adm in Windows SteadyState\ADM folder. However, we still suggest configure those settings in SteadyState UI if possible. You can disable the restrictions, check the issue and then re-enable them without uninstalling it.
    Sean Zhu - MSFT
    Thursday, April 8, 2010 7:19 AM