none
How to do a Fuzzy Partial Search RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I am using Fuzzy match to connect up my two tables.My one table contains up the values of programme name like

1.home and away

my another table contains the series number as well as lot of matching data as

1.Home and away S2 E4

2.Home and awat s4 e3

3.Home and away s1 e9

4.The king and I

5.THe latest and I

I dont know but why it is connecting up when I am using fuzzy match and changing the matching limit to 0.60 and 0.50 as well.

If i am using 0.80 and 1 then it is not matching up

I hope to have a positive response

Monday, April 8, 2019 4:41 PM

Answers

• You do not provide sufficient data for one to provide a meaningful response.

However, the current fuzzy lookup functionality in Power BI is not yet well implemented. It is based on the same algorithm as the Excel Fuzzy Lookup add-in, but returns less matches than the add-in at the same similarity thresholds (it also has less features than the add-in, but that's another matter). The feature is still in preview though, so there is hope for the future. Until they've fixed the issues, I would not recommend using this feature, except for testing and feedback purposes.

Monday, April 8, 2019 6:10 PM

All replies

• You do not provide sufficient data for one to provide a meaningful response.

However, the current fuzzy lookup functionality in Power BI is not yet well implemented. It is based on the same algorithm as the Excel Fuzzy Lookup add-in, but returns less matches than the add-in at the same similarity thresholds (it also has less features than the add-in, but that's another matter). The feature is still in preview though, so there is hope for the future. Until they've fixed the issues, I would not recommend using this feature, except for testing and feedback purposes.

Monday, April 8, 2019 6:10 PM
  • Colin, my understanding is that we've made some changes to align the behavior of our fuzzy matching to that of the Excel Fuzzy Lookup add-in. Could you elaborate on the specific scenarios where you're still seeing deltas? (Note that you may have to re-do any fuzzy merges done in the past in order to get the new behavior/defaults.)

I'd like to be able to share your detailed critique with the team.
    Ehren

Thursday, May 9, 2019 9:07 PM
    Owner
  • Hi Ehren,

During the Fuzzy Lookup preview period, I reported issues I had found to Miguel. My test data was in the file that came with the Excel fuzzy lookup add-in - Portfolio.xlsx.

As a baseline, the add-in found 8 of 9 matches with the threshold set to .80 and found all matches with the threshold set to .75.

The first preview of the fuzzy lookup function found 1 match with the threshold set to .80 and the next match somewhere between .50 and .59...and the match it found was incorrect. All the bloggers and insiders touting the feature used such ridiculously simple data to test the feature that it would have been impossible to notice that anything was amiss.

In subsequent previews, and in the released version, the feature was never able to get all matches - 7 of 9 (not the Borg on Voyager!) was the best that was achievable. 

Perhaps you could shed some light on this matter.

Thursday, May 9, 2019 10:14 PM