none
Microsoft SSRS 2012 RSClientPrint ActiveX component doesn't install/run within IE 11 RRS feed

• Question

• All,

We are running into an issue, where we see that the "print" button as available on the Microsoft Reporting Server site does not work on our Windows 7/8.1 systems. When pressing the button, a popup appears with the message "Printing is not available. Verify that ActiveX is enabled, or try using Internet Explorer for  the desktop."

I have added the site to trusted sites, and allowed download and run of signed ActiveX controls, as described here (https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms155874(v=sql.110).aspx ).

I have configured the ActiveX Installer service, as described here (https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd631688(v=ws.10).aspx). After that action I see in the eventlog the following:

The ActiveX control http://server/Reports/Reserved.ReportViewerWebControl.axd?ReportSession=ao4hl1rhljvuac45oppnij55&Culture=1043&CultureOverrides=False&UICulture=9&UICultureOverrides=False&ReportStack=1&ControlID=e667391f2e7b4fa48db718cdfe60e61c&OpType=PrintCab&Arch=X86 from host URL http://mesbrouwen passed all policy checks.

....seems like the ActiveX object is marked as "ok"... but even then the file is not installed. Looking at a Process Monitor dump, I see the cab-file (RSClientPrint-x86.cab) is downloaded, but never reaches "Windows\Downloaded Program Files".

I would like to avoid having to deploy the component using a package. Does anyone have an idea? (googling around didn't provide me any answers that work for me -> which where the options mentioned above)

Help is greatly appreciated!

Regards,

Sjoerd

Friday, June 26, 2015 12:08 PM

Answers

• Hi,

For Microsoft Internet Explorer, settings that affect ActiveX control download and installation are specified through the ActiveX controls and plug-ins node in the Security Settings page for the Web content zone. 

Users who want to use RSClientPrint to perform client-side printing must enable Download signed ActiveX controls and Script ActiveX control marked safe for scriptingfor installation purposes, and Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins for ongoing print operations. 

Please make sure above 3 settings are configured properly.

If there is any security applications or plug-in installed to protect your internet access, please disable them first before reinstall it.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Sunday, July 5, 2015 2:44 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I considered if the issue can be caused by permission.

Please check the 2nd possible cause of this article:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/mariae/archive/2010/04/13/error-unable-to-load-client-print-control-when-printing-reports-in-reporting-services-summary-of-all-possible-causes-at-april-2010.aspx

Try to log on as built-in Administrator and see if it can work fine.

Did you find any "Access denied" error in the Process monitor report?

If so, take the ownership of these files or registry keys and see what's going on.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, June 29, 2015 3:21 AM
  • Hi Kate,

Using the local admin account, I receive 2 prompts: first for UAC, followed by a prompt mentioning that the Reporting component is going to be installed.

After acknowledging both prompts, the reports page loads, but I still receive the "Printing is not available. Verify that ActiveX is enabled, or try using Internet Explorer for  the desktop." message.

Looking at the installed/downloaded components, I see that the component is still not installed. Somethinge seems to prevent the download. (even for a local account)

Kind regards,

Sjoerd

Tuesday, June 30, 2015 11:17 AM
  • Hi,

For Microsoft Internet Explorer, settings that affect ActiveX control download and installation are specified through the ActiveX controls and plug-ins node in the Security Settings page for the Web content zone. 

Users who want to use RSClientPrint to perform client-side printing must enable Download signed ActiveX controls and Script ActiveX control marked safe for scriptingfor installation purposes, and Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins for ongoing print operations. 

Please make sure above 3 settings are configured properly.

If there is any security applications or plug-in installed to protect your internet access, please disable them first before reinstall it.

Sunday, July 5, 2015 2:44 AM
  • We found a solution for POSReady 2009 / Windows XP clients and SSRS 2014.
    The issue was solve by installing the Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package on the clients.

After this the clients could install the Active-X component and the error message "Printing not available" disappeared and the printer selection appeared

• Edited by rppwolfs Monday, August 31, 2015 2:57 PM
    • Proposed as answer by FXE Thursday, September 3, 2015 11:51 AM
    Monday, August 31, 2015 2:56 PM
  • Thank you rppwolfs.

Your solution runs for us.

FXE

Thursday, September 3, 2015 11:53 AM
  • You are a god rppwolfs.

Your link did not work for me but I found that you must use the x86 version of the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable Package found here.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8328

Thursday, September 10, 2015 6:09 PM
  • SSRS 2012 "Unable to load client print control" OR "An error occurred during printing. (0x8007F303)" or ActiveX not re-installing

We upgraded our SSRS from 2008 to 2012 and my users are under XP with IE7 or IE8, and some of us fortunate ones like myself upgraded to a new PC Win 7 / IE11 all resulting in various issues while trying to PRINT and especially PREVIEW a report.

i haven't found anything documented for SSRS 2012 ( without Sharepoint ) pertaining to these issues.

Has anyone else encountered problems PRINTING or PREVIEWING SSRS reports with any of these errors/messages/issues

print button disabled when print preview attempted 

error/message: This website wants to run the following add-on "SQL Server 2012" from Microsoft Corporation 

error: An error occurred during printing. (0x8007F303)

ActiveX doesn't seem to install/reinstall under Windows 7 under Administrator with all Active X switches turned on/active 

Monday, January 11, 2016 9:24 PM
  • You need to modify this on the group policy

"Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\ActiveX Installer Service"

add your site where you are installing your plugin from and this value "2,2,1,0".

I thought I would add this here since I spent days finding a solution for it.

Monday, January 30, 2017 9:25 PM
  • I was able to resolve this. Downloaded RSClientPrint ... download it to a folder you create. Extract the files . Register the dll .  Make sure you are using the correct version .  IF using default IE , it will run in 32 bit mode, even if on x64 server, and you will need to download, and register the 32 bit RSClientPrint and 32 bit dll .

Using Windows\Downloaded Program Files turned into a red herring. Wasn't needed. 

RSClientPrint can typically be obtained from the SSRS server : C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSRS10.SQLEXPRESS\Reporting Services\ReportServer\bin

• Edited by mpwar Friday, February 9, 2018 3:54 PM
    Friday, February 9, 2018 3:53 PM
  • @rppwolfs You have no idea how many hours you saved me. I could not get the RSClientPrint to work until I installed Visual C++ Redistributables on the client machine. No idea which version was needed in this case, so I installed 2010, 2012, 2013, and 2015 both 32 bit and 64 bits versions for each.
    Tuesday, November 27, 2018 5:20 PM