none
Outlook spawns two Internet Explorer processes

Question

• Ref. Outlook 2016 (Version 1704 Build 8067.2032)on Windows 10 Insider Fast Ring release

Hi.  I noticed a couple weeks ago that when I launch Outlook it seems to launch two Internet Explorer processes that I can see on the Task List (one says Internet Explorer and the other Internet Explorer (32-bit).

As soon as I exit Outlook the two IE processes go away.  Launch Outlook, they appear.

Tried removing all add-ins, also performed clean install Office365.

I don't seem to have any malfunctions, but nobody can explain to me why the two IE processes.

Thanks.

Tuesday, May 2, 2017 11:03 PM

All replies

• Hello,

This forum is used to discuss development issues related to Outlook Object Model. I would move this thread into Outlook IT Pro Discussions forum since this is not a development issue. Thanks for your understanding.

Regards,

Celeste

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, May 3, 2017 1:52 AM
  • Hi,

First try to perform a clean boot in Windows, then monitor the result again:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

Another way, which is well worth a try, is to run Process Monitor to capture the process activities. This might show us what's really going on in the backend.

Regards,

Ethan Hua

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, May 4, 2017 8:28 AM
  • Hi.  Using Process Explorer, I can report that when I start Outlook, under Wininit I get two IE processes -- the cmd lines for each are:

"C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" -startmanager -Embedding

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE" SCODEF:4744 CREDAT:75009 /prefetch:2

They terminate when I terminate Outlook.  A clean Windows boot did not change this behavior.

I've download process monitor but I don't know how to utilize it to collect useful data without capturing hundreds of thousands of entries..  I got as far as filtering for outllook.exe and iexplore.exe :)

/jim

• Edited by LagunaJim Thursday, May 4, 2017 5:10 PM
    Thursday, May 4, 2017 4:37 PM
  • Have you tried with a different version of Outlook client?

I'm currently running version 1701 (Build 7766.2084), seems no issue on my side. I will try to set up an environment with the same build as yours, then test it again.

Regards,

Ethan Hua

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, May 9, 2017 10:57 AM
  • Hi,

Just want to give you an update that I am able to reproduce the issue with the same build as yours.

I will try to submit the information to the product group for an investigation. If there is anything new, I will update here.

Thanks for your great patience and understanding.

Regards,

Ethan Hua

Wednesday, May 17, 2017 9:44 AM
  • EXCELLENT!

I suspect the IE processes are not a malfunction, but it would be nice to know why this behavior occurs.  This is probably a case of the documentation not keeping up with the changes!

Also, on occasion Outlook does not exit cleanly – there remains an outlook process that I must manually kill via task list before I can launch Outlook anew.

Thanks for sticking with my inquiry!!  /jim

• Edited by LagunaJim Wednesday, May 17, 2017 1:58 PM
    Wednesday, May 17, 2017 1:57 PM
  • Hi !

Same here with Outlook 2016 (Version 1705 Build 8201.2102) on Windows 10 Pro x64 release.

Nothing new ?

Thanks

Friday, July 7, 2017 7:41 AM
  • I'm seeing the same, fairly constant 5-15% CPU usage from one of the internet explorer processes. It seems to be related to MyAnalytics, for me at least.

If I have the MyAnalyrics pane pinned open and switch between emails, the CPU goes up, if I close/hide MyAnalytics pane the IE process CPU drops to nearly 0.

Wednesday, July 26, 2017 9:49 AM
  • This has caused issues such as IE crashing on startup of Outlook and IE Popups when changing from 32 bit to 64 bit.  It is still going on with current Outlook 64 bit (Office 365 Pro Plus 1710) and current OS (Windows 10 Enterprise 1709).  Same issue and prefer Outlook would not open IE without knowledge of what it is doing.

Pete

Thursday, December 7, 2017 10:56 AM
  • I'm seeing the same, fairly constant 5-15% CPU usage from one of the internet explorer processes. It seems to be related to MyAnalytics, for me at least.

If I have the MyAnalyrics pane pinned open and switch between emails, the CPU goes up, if I close/hide MyAnalytics pane the IE process CPU drops to nearly 0.

In my case, MyAnalytics is not installed (not E5 nor purchased for E3) which begs the question: "If this is associated with usage analytics, what usage analytics is MS collecting that we are not aware of?"

Pete

Thursday, December 7, 2017 11:00 AM