none
Unable to open large Project Server 2010 hosted schedule in Project Pro 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• We have a large(?) schedule stored in Project Server 2010 SP2. The schedule has been on Project Server 2010 since SP1 and went through the conversion process. The file is 8.6MB, 3165 rows and has a number of Enterprise custom fields.

When attempting to open it in Project Pro 2010, which is hosted through citrix on a remote server, the file can be selected to open. The status bar says Opening, waits a few minutes, then resets to Ready and the schedule is not open. The schedule can be opened and edited using the PWA interface on the Project Server.

Things tried:

• Using a non-citrixed Project Pro 2010. Same result.
    • Use a similar-sized files without the Enterprise fields but are unable to duplicate the problem.

Things that we are considering:

• Database index rebuild
    • Rebuild the PWA

Any suggestions?

Wednesday, November 27, 2013 6:49 PM

All replies

• jkormann --

Several PMs in our organization have run into similar issues with large projects in Project Server 2010.  I do not believe your problem is caused by Citrix.  I suspect the project is corrupted.  Have you tried opening it in Microsoft Project 2010, but using the Project Center interface in PWA?  If you can get the project open for editing in Microsoft Project 2010 (not in PWA), you can use the Save for Sharing feature to resolve the corruption.  Refer to my blog post on this issue for the steps to use the Save for Sharing feature:

http://www.projectserverhelp.com/Lists/Posts/Post.aspx?ID=197

If you cannot get the project to open in Microsoft Project 2010, either the Project Center interface in PWA or using File > Open in Microsoft Project 2010, then you will need to ask your Project Server administrator to restore the last good working copy from the PWA backups.  This assumes your Project Server administrator is running nightly backups using the PWA backup functionality, of course.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Wednesday, November 27, 2013 8:14 PM
  • Dale - we will look over your link. I also received updated information from one of the schedulers. It appears the two project files can be opened, using varying permissions settings. If the schedule can be opened from either Working or Published, could there be a problem with the databases?

From the Scheduler:

When attempting to open it in Project Pro 2010, which is hosted through citrix on a remote server, the file can be selected to open. The status bar says Opening, waits a few minutes, then resets to Ready and the schedule is not open, it will also briefly display a status of "Closing [file name]". The file can be opened if Read Only - Published options are selected.  The schedule can also be opened and edited using the PWA interface on the Project Server.  If the file is saved off of the server, onto the desktop, if can be opened and edited normally.  If upload back to the server, upon closing of the file the problem resurfaces. 

Things tried:

• Using a non-citrixed Project Pro 2010. Same result.
    • Splitting the file into a 8 MB and 12 MB file
      • The 8 MB file can be opened Read/Write - Working mode,       but the cache must be cleared each time or else it has the same issue as       the large file
      • The 12 MB file does not open in Read/Write -       Working mode, but does open as Read Only - Published
    • Other files of smaller size (working normally) were tested by adding addition      lines until the size increased to 15 MB, this resulted them having the      same issue opening
    Monday, December 2, 2013 11:27 AM
  • jkormann --

Thank you for the additional information; however, you still did not answer one of my questions.  Can you open the project in Microsoft Project 2010 using the PWA interface?  Here are the steps:

1. Navigate to the Project Center page in PWA.
    2. Click the light blue row header for the project to select the row (DO NOT click the name of the project).
    3. In the Project section of the ribbon, click the Open pick list button and select In Project Professional for Editing.

I suspect that this operation will also fail, which is why I believe your project is corrupted.  And in that case, I would recommend you use the steps for resolving the corruption that I referenced in my last post.  Let us know the answer to the question above and we will try to help.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Monday, December 2, 2013 2:22 PM
  • That functionality does not work because SharePoint cannot find Project Pro installed locally. Project Pro is on the Citrix environment and the Internet Explorer is installed locally.

We've been looking at the Save for Sharing option. As noted by the Scheduler in the additional information, one project can be opened from Draft and other from Published. We've found that Save for Sharing is active for projects pulled from Published and is disabled for projects pulled from Draft.

We are currently testing using the solution you offered.

Monday, December 2, 2013 2:31 PM