SCCM 2012 supported on Amazon AWS using RDS ? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

We are looking at a smal proof of concept platform on AWS which will effectivly replicate our current provisioning and management service before looking at the migration of user applications.

We currently have an SCCM site installation internally and had wanted to extend this into our new AWS VPC which is connected to our internal network via Amazon Direct Connect.  Our SCCM sme's here tell me that we need to use a server instance to run SQL Server for the SCCM backend but why can't I use RDS ?

Is an install of SCCM 2012 possible using RDS?  Does it perfom ok?  Is it supported?

Many thanks

Monday, September 5, 2016 3:29 PM

Answers

All replies

• A server instance of of SQL is required unless you can grant access to SQL by machine account with AWS RDS.  You can't do this with Azure SQL, I am guessing you can't with AWS either.

Even if it does work it won't be supported. But, it would be really really cool.  So try it and let us know. :)

And, finally.  It is always recommended to run your SQL instance locally.  Having an off box SQL increases complexity greatly with no gain.  

-Fred

Fred Bainbridge | President, MNSCUG | Systems Consultant, Now Micro | fredbainbridge.com

Monday, September 5, 2016 5:13 PM
  • RDS will never work. ConfigMgr is designed to specifically use a full instance of SQL Server hosted on a full Windows Server that it (the site server) has full local admin privileges on.

Jason | http://blog.configmgrftw.com | @jasonsandys

Monday, September 5, 2016 9:41 PM
  • Thank you for the reply Fred.  Please see below for the answer I got from Amazon themselves. :-)
    Tuesday, September 6, 2016 9:48 AM
  • Jason,

Thanks for taking the time to reply, but you are incorrect and a touch overzealous in your reply.

I reached out to Amazon professional services and they've run SCCM using RDS successfully inside AWS.

As Fred above rightly pointed out, support is the issue.  It runs perfectly fine, but since RDS isnt supported then this isnt a path we can choose for our production environment. 

This is a shame but it's not making us reconsider our usage of AWS instead it's making us reconsider our continued usage of SCCM and enforcing a strategy to use Open Source products over Microsoft moving forward.

As a qualified Microsoft server engineer for the last 20 years this is really disapointing.

Tuesday, September 6, 2016 10:00 AM
  • So you have posted to the CM12 forum, If I remember right Amazon is using the newest version  CM, called CMCB = Configuration Manager Current Branch. CMCB is support on Azure, therefore it might be supported/works on AWS.

Are you planning to use CM12, instead of CMCB?

Garth Jones

Blog: http://www.enhansoft.com/blog Old Blog: http://smsug.ca/blogs/garth_jones/default.aspx

Twitter: @GarthMJ Book: System Center Configuration Manager Reporting Unleased

• Proposed as answer by Gerry HampsonMVP Tuesday, September 6, 2016 11:40 AM
    • Marked as answer by Frank Dong Wednesday, October 12, 2016 1:53 AM
    Tuesday, September 6, 2016 11:27 AM
  • Hi Garth,

I'll need to clarify with Amazon, but we are using CM12 here.

It's good to learn that it actually works and if CMCB is supported on Azure then I would hope that it wouldnt be long before it's supported on other platforms too.

Many thanks

Tuesday, September 6, 2016 11:36 AM
  • To be clear - when I said CM will not work on Azure SQL, i meant the SQL PaaS offering, not standing up a Windows Server VM in Azure (IaaS) and installing SQL on that server instance.  

Not knowing the technical specs of RDS, I assumed it was the same type of offering.  But, apparently that isn't the case.  Good to know.  

Cheers. 

Fred Bainbridge | President, MNSCUG | Systems Consultant, Now Micro | fredbainbridge.com

Tuesday, September 6, 2016 12:27 PM
  • I highly doubt this answer. RDS is SQL as a service if I'm not mistaken. As noted ConfigMgr requires local admin permissions on the Windows Server hosting the SQL instance. There is no way around this requirement during installation. I can't imagine how you would ever do this with SQL as a service or that they would ever allow you to do this.

As for support, why would Microsoft ever support someone else's platform and/or datacenter?

Jason | http://blog.configmgrftw.com | @jasonsandys

Tuesday, September 6, 2016 1:13 PM