Black screen after login RRS feed

• Question

• I am yet another user who has fallen victim to this. I am using Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit as my OS. Here is what happened:

1. Friday, January 30, 2015: Downloaded a program to create an ISO image from a CD to upload to Google Drive and Dropbox and share the link with my uncle. Everything was A-OK then.

2. Saturday, January 31, 2015: Tried logging in, found black screen with mouse pointer. Tried Control-Alt-Delete and brought up the task manager. After numerous tries, I found that I could open windows and browsers, which led me to seek help online. Said help told me to restart explorer.exe by killing the process in Task Manager and then going to File->New Task and typing in explorer.exe and hit Enter, which I did. So I got my desktop back, but I still worried. AVG revealed nothing. No restore points means no System Restore, either. 

3. Sunday, February 1, 2015 to present: Downloaded Microsoft Security Essentials and began a full scan. It quarantined and then removed a Java cve 2011 3544 jar virus. Thought it was over. Not so.

I uninstalled all of my favourite programs and used AVG to shred files associated with those programs. Don't worry; they weren't system files, just files found in the "My Documents" folder.

I then performed a clean boot, a boot using last known good configuration; no suck luck. Just recently went into Safe Mode and used AVG command-line, which found 860 "info-security" infections, and rebooted. Again, no such luck. Tried to find explorer.exe in the Event Viewer and tried to create a dump file to find out what went wrong, but I can't read dump files, and I'm not sure which dump file reader to trust.

Please help. I have to use Task Scheduler to reactivate my anti-virus programs upon logon. I'm seriously considering restoring my computer to factory settings, but am saving that as a last resort.

Sincerely,

Cynthia Chan

Thursday, February 5, 2015 1:00 AM

All replies

• This is generally caused by malware on the machine.  You should be able to boot into safe mode no problem I assume?  If you can please send a snap shot of your installed programs listed by date (earliest at the top). 
    Thursday, February 5, 2015 5:34 AM
  • I can boot into safe mode. I'm not in safe mode now, but when I do, I'll get the snapshots of all my installed programs and updates.

By the way, I uninstalled the program that created the ISO image, I think. I think I also removed the malware, but some of my files may still be damaged.

The manufacturer has a program to make recovery discs, so I'll see if I can find some DVD-Rs and do that, just in case.

Sincerely,

Cynthia Chan

Thursday, February 5, 2015 7:19 PM
  • Here are screenshots of my installed programs.

List of installed programs - latest first.

List of installed programs - latest first.

List of installed programs - earliest first.

List of installed programs - earliest first.

Sincerely,

Cynthia Chan

Friday, February 6, 2015 1:18 AM
  • Hi Cynthia Chan,

Considering you have tried clean boot troubleshoot method ,we also can use the autorun tool to have a look at the autorun programs.It will give us a detailed information of the autorun programs.
    Autoruns for Windows v13.0
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902.aspx

"which found 860 "info-security" infections, and rebooted. Again, no such luck. "
    Considering this machine has been injected by malware, the system files may have corrupted .
    We can try to run "sfc /scannow" to have a repair.

Best regards

Friday, February 6, 2015 10:08 AM
  • Remove Avg in safe mode.

Since you can boot into safe mode it means its a service, driver or user log in item that only boots in normal.

You can try disabling start up items and services in msconfig.

If you down load auto runs give me a screen shot of the everything tab. Make sure everything is enabled in msconfig before you run the tool

Also try safe mode with networking.  let me know

• Edited by aw00t Friday, February 6, 2015 6:31 PM stuff
    Friday, February 6, 2015 6:29 PM
  • AVG is known to cause many issues. I suggest removing ALL traces of AVG. You have AVG, AVG toolbar, and even Visual Studio made by AVG?? Just so you are aware, Visual Studio is a Microsoft program and NOT AVG. I suggest removing all other programs that you do not need also. That will get rid of any other malware/spyware/adware w/e the name.

Also, look at Speccy and Defraggler by piriform?? Those are not very useful tools... 

Don't forget to mark the post that solved your issue as "Answered." By marking the Answer you are enabling users with similar issues to find what helped you. Lewis Renwick - IT Professional

Friday, February 6, 2015 6:37 PM
  • Just an FYI if you ever want to read DMP files download WinDBG (Windows debugger) You can find that here: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/hardware/hh852365.aspx

It's a good tool to have in your pocket.Just make sure you download the standalone, the WDK will come with all sorts of stuff you neither want nor need.

• Edited by Acreed02 Friday, February 6, 2015 7:32 PM
    Friday, February 6, 2015 7:31 PM
  • Ok. I'll follow your advice before I use the recovery discs that I made using the Recovery program supplied by my PC's manufacturer.

Thanks,

Cynthia Chan

Saturday, February 7, 2015 7:17 PM
  • Below is a picture of what I got when trying to remove AVG in safe mode:

What do I do now?

Cynthia Chan

Sunday, February 8, 2015 7:00 PM
  • I got this while trying to install the debugging tools (and just the debugging tools):

Cynthia Chan

Sunday, February 8, 2015 7:14 PM
  • Scannow in Safe Mode gave me this:

Cynthia Chan

Sunday, February 8, 2015 7:17 PM
  • I would let the uninstaller run. You shouldn't need the debugging tools since we know its a log in item service or driver that boots in normal mode. Download auto runs like was suggested earlier. If you can give me a snap shot of auto runs I can prob tell you the culprit.
    Monday, February 9, 2015 1:15 AM