Network at work blocks Windows store updates/downloads ? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

Using Windows 8 on Dell laptop.

Cannot download or update any apps including Win 8.1 update using the Windows Store - at work.

When connecting to a different network, home/restaurant/hotel - works OK.

How do I check that the network at the office is actually blocking the access? What do I tell them needs to be done?

Thank you,

Sunday, October 26, 2014 12:27 PM

All replies

• Firstly I'm assuming you're seeing this on the same laptop, eg you've tried on your work laptop from home, as opposed to your trying with a different Windows 8 machine at home?

If that's the case then it wouldn't be a policy setting that's been deployed to your machine, eg preventing users from access the store, since that would still apply even when you were connected from another location.

If they're blocking it via some other means then realistically you'd need to speak to your IT department, as without knowing details of how your network is configured, and what security mechanisms are setup between your laptop and the internet, it's hard to even guess at what might be causing the block and what they would need to lift it.

Sunday, October 26, 2014 8:27 PM
  • Thank you, Yes it is a problem with the setup between my laptop and the internet via the company server. I have contacted IT but they don't know what exactly is blocked. It's not a proxy, it's Mcafee gateway (I know because I get a measage from that when a webite does not load as it is on their blocked list. The windows 8 store loads up ok and finds the updates ok but then is stuck pn "pending" forever. I need to know what exactly my computer can't connect to. Like I said, just taking the laptop to any coffee shop wifi and it updates through the store no problem. Thank you
    Sunday, October 26, 2014 8:40 PM