none
Direct Access Multi site 2012/2016 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everibody

I configured my DA (Server 2012) to be ready for a mutli site deployment. All the prerequisites are OK. When I try to join my new DA (Server 2016) to the site, every thing works fine but the last point fails (ERROR: The cmdlet did not run as expected) and the rollback is done. Does anybody has an advise for this issue? Is it possible that Server 2016 can't be joined to a Server 2012 DA Deployment?

Thanks

Friday, February 3, 2017 3:05 PM

All replies

• I have not tried it yet, but yes I would be almost certain that you are correct. I know you cannot mix Server 2012 and Server 2012R2 boxes in the DirectAccess world, even though nothing is different inside DirectAccess between the two operating systems. You can not join them to the same array, nor mix them in Multi-Site. So I expect the same is true with Server 2016, you need all of your DA servers to be on the same OS.

Sidenote: If you are interested in doing Multi-Site for redundancy or disaster recovery purposes, I just want to warn you that is not really what Multi-Site is designed to do. It is a "roaming user" technology, where your users could be connected to your primary site today, and connected to your backup site tomorrow, it's not very easy to control where the users go. If what you are really after is a true failover technology for DirectAccess (primary site / failover site) - the company that I work for has developed a solution that is specifically for that scenario. IVO Networks Failover Client for DirectAccess (FC4DA). If you have any questions, feel free to reach out and we can discuss offline. Furthermore, with FC4DA you could mix Server 2012 and 2016 on the DA server side - it doesn't matter as FC4DA puts the decision into the laptop's hands, without the need for all of the DA servers to be part of an array or even to know that each other exist. :)

Jordan.Krause@ivonetworks.com

Thursday, February 16, 2017 2:38 PM