Two Primary ADFS in a Single Domain/Single Forest RRS feed

• Question

• Hello Experts.......

I have come up with a question. 

I have two ADFS server in my ADFS farm,one active & another one passive. 

Is there any way we can make both ADFS as primary rather than one primary & other secondary.

Thanks,

Simant

Thursday, February 28, 2019 8:59 AM

Answers

• Why would you want that? What's the use case?

If you had WID that would mean two way integration, possibility of conflicts etc.

You can only have one primary.

Thursday, February 28, 2019 5:36 PM
  • Hello,

If you are using Windows Internal Database (WID), then that is not possible to have two primaries. If you need more than one server to act as primary, you will need to use SQL database on the backend.

I am not sure why you need 2 primaries but keep in mind that both servers are capable to authenticate and validate claims, etc and the only difference I can think of between primary and secondary is that you can only make updates such as creating new relying party on the primary but for basic ADFS functionality both servers should serve the same purpose simultaneously.

Isaac Oben MCITP:EA, MCSE,MCC <a href="https://www.mcpvirtualbusinesscard.com/VBCServer/4a046848-4b33-4a28-b254-e5b01e29693e/interactivecard"> View my MCP Certifications</a>

Thursday, February 28, 2019 8:34 PM

All replies

• Why would you want that? What's the use case?

If you had WID that would mean two way integration, possibility of conflicts etc.

You can only have one primary.

Thursday, February 28, 2019 5:36 PM
  • Hello,

If you are using Windows Internal Database (WID), then that is not possible to have two primaries. If you need more than one server to act as primary, you will need to use SQL database on the backend.

I am not sure why you need 2 primaries but keep in mind that both servers are capable to authenticate and validate claims, etc and the only difference I can think of between primary and secondary is that you can only make updates such as creating new relying party on the primary but for basic ADFS functionality both servers should serve the same purpose simultaneously.

Isaac Oben MCITP:EA, MCSE,MCC <a href="https://www.mcpvirtualbusinesscard.com/VBCServer/4a046848-4b33-4a28-b254-e5b01e29693e/interactivecard"> View my MCP Certifications</a>

Thursday, February 28, 2019 8:34 PM