none
Offline domain join for MDT 2012 media based deployments at offsite RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

How do we bring device into domain in media based deployments for offsite (device doesn't have access to the domain network) devices?

I am planning to run media based TS, shutdown the device (using shutdown command line in TS), adding step for 'recover from domain' after shutown step.

TS is working fine but it loose the continuity and gives an message that there already been deployment running on this device, do you want to continue(yes\No). If I click on NO, it proceed further with 'recover from domain'. Is there any step that I can run before shutdown that can store the current status for TS and continue clean once system boot onsite ?

Regards,

Monday, June 10, 2013 8:23 AM

Answers

• The simple answer is: two Task Sequences.

The first would be to put the WIM on the machine, do any config you need and install any applications that can be installed sans network.  This would be an Offline Media Task Sequence that you would run with the USB stick and no network connection.  This Task Sequence wouldn't join the domain, but would be configured to join a Workgroup.  Name it like MDT-ConfigImage or something so you can easily spot devices on your network that haven't yet run TS#2.

The second would a Task Sequence to just run the join domain command, maybe run Windows Update (now that it's presumably connected to a WSUS server) and install any apps that require a connection to the network (hopefully none).  This Task Sequence would be pretty simple and could be launched via LiteTouch.vbs directly or configured to be booted from, then have the TS boot the full OS already installed (from Task Sequence #1) and "complete the configuration."

Keeping it as two has the added ability to quickly modify and update TS#2 without needing to regenerate your Offline Media for TS#1 and provide to whoever is doing that imaging.  This is effectively what happens with some of the vendors (like Dell) when they image your machine with your image in their config center and then they send you the box and you "finish it" on network (while it can join domain, etc.).

David Coulter | http://DCtheGeek.blogspot.com | @DCtheGeek

Tuesday, June 11, 2013 12:27 AM
    Answerer

All replies

• Let me make sure I understand what you are trying to do. : )

You want to image a disconnected (no network) device with offline media, turn it off, physically move it, connect it to your network (with connectivity to domain controller), and have it finish the domain join and the remainder of the original offline media Task Sequence?

Monday, June 10, 2013 1:24 PM
    Answerer
  • Hi David,

Yes, I am looking for the same info.

Regards,

Monday, June 10, 2013 5:27 PM
  • The simple answer is: two Task Sequences.

The first would be to put the WIM on the machine, do any config you need and install any applications that can be installed sans network.  This would be an Offline Media Task Sequence that you would run with the USB stick and no network connection.  This Task Sequence wouldn't join the domain, but would be configured to join a Workgroup.  Name it like MDT-ConfigImage or something so you can easily spot devices on your network that haven't yet run TS#2.

The second would a Task Sequence to just run the join domain command, maybe run Windows Update (now that it's presumably connected to a WSUS server) and install any apps that require a connection to the network (hopefully none).  This Task Sequence would be pretty simple and could be launched via LiteTouch.vbs directly or configured to be booted from, then have the TS boot the full OS already installed (from Task Sequence #1) and "complete the configuration."

Keeping it as two has the added ability to quickly modify and update TS#2 without needing to regenerate your Offline Media for TS#1 and provide to whoever is doing that imaging.  This is effectively what happens with some of the vendors (like Dell) when they image your machine with your image in their config center and then they send you the box and you "finish it" on network (while it can join domain, etc.).

Tuesday, June 11, 2013 12:27 AM
    Answerer
  • Hi David .... I am very interested to see an example TS for what Offline Media and then a 2nd TS once connected to Domain. I have this exact scenario where we prepare hardware offsite and then would like to send hardware onsite to customer to then perform last part of preparation.
    Friday, May 16, 2014 9:11 AM