Bitlocker Problem RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

One of our computer is inside the Active Directory of our company and after we changed the motherboard Bitlocker has detected an hardware change and somehow has generated a new password ID (and password) which is different from the one written on the AD.

This procedure didn’t help:

https://support.microsoft.com/fr-fr/help/17133/windows-8-bitlocker-recovery-keys-frequently-asked-questions

I already contacted Microsoft and Hp and sadly they couldn’t bring me a clear answers.
    Does anybody know if there is any options for me to decrypt the disks?

Regards
    Tuesday, March 20, 2018 2:38 PM

All replies

• Look, new ID means decrypt and re-encrypt. This does NOT happen on its own.

So if AD backup was not enforced (you can require AD backup, so that encryption won't even start without), then you are just gonna need to find the guy that has administrative permissions to that machine since users may not decrypt/re-encrypt if it was used properly (which is: no admin rights for users, usage with TPM).

Tuesday, March 20, 2018 4:53 PM
  • It is not possible that it generates new IDs. Instead, you will go directly to recovery mode. For this, you will need the recovery key. If the keys are centrally collected through MBAM or Active Directory then you can check with your administrator to get the recovery key. If you do not have the recovery key then you cannot access the encrypted drives again.

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Ahmed MALEK

My Website Link

My Linkedin Profile

My MVP Profile

Wednesday, March 21, 2018 12:48 AM