Working 64 Bit Wireless Network Driver RRS feed

• General discussion

• Eureka...I've stumbled upon a fix that allows my AT&T wireless network adapter to work perfectly in Windows XP 64.  The model of the adapter is the Plug & Share 6500G (54Mbps) wireless PCI.  After reading through every message thread I could find regarding 64 bit drivers for Windows XP64 or Server 2003, I tried downloading two files that could possibly work. The first was a generic Ralink driver...no luck there and the other (second attempt) was based upon the Atheros chipset (forgive me if this is a card manufacturer and not a chipset); however, after receiving error messages for both, I gave up hope.  When I updated the software (NVIDIA 6150 NForce) for my chipset and video card...lo and behold my system recognized my wireless network connection.  I immediately unplugged my Ethernet connection and have been happily surfing all afternoon without any issues.

System: 1gb Ram, AMD Athlon 3200+, NVidia Gforce 6600GT video card, MSI K8NGM2/Socket 939.  I will probably maintain my dual boot (Windows XP Home) partition for a while longer, due to the lack of  a driver for my USB full pager scanner or Motorola Razr V3 (seen as a USB modem) phone.  Other than that, every application I've tried under this new operating system works like a champ.

Wednesday, October 4, 2006 3:05 AM