Microsoft MOM RRS feed

• Question

• This is my first time submitting a question.  I hope I have placed this in the proper forum.  I am a SQL Server Administrator and was asked to start using MOM.  They asked me to create SQL Server monitors for all our servers.  I called our internal Windows Support team and asked them to install the MOM software and told them I needed the proper security to set up SQL Server monitoring tasks on all our Windows servers.  They installed the software (MOM 2005).  When I opened the admin console, I noticed I was missing Management Packs and Administration in the tree structure in the left hand panel.  According to the manuals I have been reading, I need those things in my tree structure. 

Unfortunately, they used an install script when they installed MOM on my PC.  I have no idea what options were installed.  I don't have access to the CDs to install the software myself.  They claim I have all security I need and my machine was set up just like everyone else's.  I downloaded the lastest managment packs myself and installed them thinking that was my problem (not so).

I am hoping that someone can tell me what I need to do to see those 2 things in my tree structure?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. 

Becky 
    Wednesday, March 11, 2009 5:41 PM

Answers

All replies

• The management packs typically are composed of rule groups, computer groups and scripts. 

Computer groups are typically associated to rule groups, the members of the computer groups have the associated rules applied.  If your MOM admins have not made this association, then that is the problem.

If you have access to the computer groups, find the SQL Server computer group, right click and click on properties.  Ensure your servers are part of this group.  Find the rules tab and ensure sql mgmt pack rules are present. 
    Wednesday, March 11, 2009 6:15 PM
  • Hi Becky,

This forum is for System Center Essentials(SCE) related issues. For questions about MOM, please use the following Microsoft public newsgroups, which would be the best resource for your question.

Discussions in MOM General
    http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.mom&cat=en_US_28500dde-63ed-4dee-a495-2de73147392c&lang=en&cr=US

Thanks,
    Yog Li - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by Yog Li Friday, March 20, 2009 2:02 AM
    Friday, March 13, 2009 7:41 AM
  • Thank you.
    Friday, March 13, 2009 6:04 PM
  • Thank you.
    Friday, March 13, 2009 6:05 PM