none
MS PROJECT 2007 RRS feed

• Question

• I have developed fairly large project, divided into a number of subsections with summary level tasks for individual work items. I need to delete the contents of one of those summary items. When I delete it, the entire project moves 2 days to the right. I have removed all predecessors, successors, work, resources, etc so that each of the 20 lines or so are only a milestone with 0 hours and no links, and even deleting a single line moves the project milestones and end date 2-3 days to the right. Have closed & re-opened. Same. Copied- Same. Sent to another computer with Project- Same.

Any ideas?

Thank  you!

Chris

Thursday, April 25, 2013 6:19 PM

All replies

• Do you mean the project finish date shows delayed, i.e. shift to a later date, when you delete these tasks?

Sapna Shukla

Friday, April 26, 2013 7:27 PM
  • The finish date & 95+% of all line items move ~3days to the right.
    Friday, April 26, 2013 7:31 PM
  • Have you added any constraints on the tasks? Do you have the latest Service Pack for 2007?

Sapna Shukla

Friday, April 26, 2013 7:40 PM
  • Chris,

Even though you removed all links on the 20 subtask lines, does (did) the summary line have links? Did you use resource leveling?

John

Friday, April 26, 2013 7:55 PM
  • Sapna, Date constraints are not the issue.

John, I don't have any links associated with the summary lines and I did not use resource leveling. I zeroed out the resources and work and it still moves the whole schedule.

Also inserted a small task to troubleshoot. The project is 545 days long. I inserted a task with a duration of 1 day linked (ASAP) to the Start milestone then linked it to the End milestone 544 days away. When I deleted it, the entire schedule moved 3 days to the right. Something is really squirrelly on this thing.

Friday, April 26, 2013 8:25 PM
  • As Shapna said. Do you have the latest Service Pack installed (SP3)? If not, do not use Project 2007 again until SP3 has been installed (and preferably the latest Cumulative Update as well) and your projects opened in Project 2007 SP3 and a Save As done to create a fresh copy.

No point trying to debug this problem either without the latest version, too many bugs.

Rod Gill

The one and only Project VBA Book

Rod Gill Project Management

Friday, April 26, 2013 11:58 PM
  • Chris,

As Rod said, make sure you have SP3 installed. I'm less keen on installing cumulative updates since they are not fully tested like service packs.

Here's something to try. Save the full file, prior to any deletions, as XML and then re-open in Project. Does it act the same way when you delete the tasks? Note: you will lose custom formatting with this process.

If nothing seems to help, would you be able to send me the file?

John

Saturday, April 27, 2013 1:57 AM
  • As well as removing all of the predecessors of the tasks that you have zeroed out, have you also removed any successors of those tasks?

Do have predecessors or successors with FF links (or anything other than FS) and/or with negative lag?

Sunday, April 28, 2013 8:47 AM
  • Do the removed tasks have any contraints such as actual start/finish dates? Is it possible that there is a constraint date forcing one of them to start before the project start date?
    Sunday, April 28, 2013 12:41 PM
  • Hi Chris,

I suggest to stop the guessing; let me have a look at it. You can send it to

jandemesATprom-ade.be (replace AT by @)

Sunday, April 28, 2013 1:26 PM
  • Hi,

This problem is even getting weirder. I received the file from Chris and performed the actions described, both in Project 2007 and in 2010. In neither version does the end date move (as one might expect)!

Sorry...

Greetings,

Monday, April 29, 2013 6:38 PM