none
Show Start Menu Recent Programs BUT Remove Common Program Groups RRS feed

• Question

• Currently my setup (corporate network) uses the setting:

User Configuration\AdministrativeTemplates\Start Menu & Taskbar\Remove common program groups from Start Menu

As its a multiple user environment we don't want all users seeing all available applications on the server their accessing (Citrix XenApp environment). We use AppSense to manage shortcuts.

As a result of using this GPO setting, users Recent Programs on the Start Menu no longer show. That's the ability for the user click on Notepad, it appears on the Start Menu and retains on logoff. 

Is it possible to enable recent programs only, or a manual tweak or setting a registry key for recent programs only, without disabling "Remove common program groups from Start Menu"

Monday, January 11, 2016 9:36 AM

Answers

• Hi Carty1976,

One thing we need to tell you at first, we don’t have a Citrix XenApp environment to test your issue, since you have post this issue in the Windows 7 forum, we find a Windows 7 computer to test.

Following what you said, we enable the group policy which named Remove common program groups from Start Menu, then, common programs disappear, but on our computer, recent programs(such as notepad or CMD) still display even if we change other user account, just like the picture below.

Therefore, I advise you to check the settings of start menu.

Please right click Start button and select Properties, in the pop-up dialog, check whether there are two tick in front of Privacy settings.

Then, click Customize, confirm whether the “number for recent programs to display” is showing anything other than 0.

Hope my clarification is clear.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, January 12, 2016 7:38 AM

All replies

• Hi Carty1976,

One thing we need to tell you at first, we don’t have a Citrix XenApp environment to test your issue, since you have post this issue in the Windows 7 forum, we find a Windows 7 computer to test.

Following what you said, we enable the group policy which named Remove common program groups from Start Menu, then, common programs disappear, but on our computer, recent programs(such as notepad or CMD) still display even if we change other user account, just like the picture below.

Therefore, I advise you to check the settings of start menu.

Please right click Start button and select Properties, in the pop-up dialog, check whether there are two tick in front of Privacy settings.

Then, click Customize, confirm whether the “number for recent programs to display” is showing anything other than 0.

Hope my clarification is clear.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, January 12, 2016 7:38 AM
  • Hi,
    Would you mind letting me know the result of the suggestions? If you need further assistance, feel free to let me know. I will be more than happy to be of assistance.

Friday, January 22, 2016 1:40 AM