none
A search for member entries 'User's Display Name' returned multiple matches in Active Directory and cannot be resolved. You can remove these entries or contact your support team to fix the duplication in Active Directory._ RRS feed

• Question

• I have a distribution group including all users of ADS. This group is allowed in "Category". In ADS if i have 2 users with same display name (SIP addresses are different obviously) and i try to add any 1 of them to my room, i get below error.

A search for member entries 'User's Display Name' returned multiple matches in Active Directory and cannot be resolved. You can remove these entries or contact your support team to fix the duplication in Active Directory.

I went to powershell and added that user by command

Set-CsPersistentChatRoom -Identity RoomName -Members @{Add="sip:SIPaddress@domain.ext"}

but if i want to add any other member after this, i get the same error for this user and i cannot even add new.

i have to every time remove this user and add others and add this user again from powershell.

Any help !!!

Lync 2013 Enterprise on Windows Server 2012 (not R2)

Thanks, Rishi Pandit.

Tuesday, March 31, 2015 12:03 PM

All replies

• Wait, so if you use

Set-CsPersistentChatRoom -Identity RoomName -Members @{Add=”sip:sipaddress1@domain.com”, “sip:sipaddress2@domain.com”} 

it still doesn't work?

Please remember, if you see a post that helped you please click "Vote As Helpful" and if it answered your question please click "Mark As Answer". SWC Unified Communications

This forum post is based upon my personal experience and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Thursday, April 9, 2015 3:36 PM
  • Adding by powershell it works, but if after some days if i want to add a new member i will again have to remove this problematic user and add new user via browser and will have to add the problematic user from shell again otherwise it gives again the same error.

A search for member entries 'User's Display Name' returned multiple matches in Active Directory and cannot be resolved. You can remove these entries or contact your support team to fix the duplication in Active Directory.

Thanks, Rishi Pandit.

Wednesday, April 22, 2015 10:37 AM
  • Hi Rishi - did you ever find a solution to this?
    Thursday, November 5, 2015 2:54 PM
  • We are experiencing the same problem at our company, in our Skype for Business 2015 environment. We have a few users with the same display name, and these can only be added to a Persistent Chat by using their SIP address.

That in itself is not much of an issue, but if you want to add new members to the chat later on, you have to remove the problematic user first, and then add them again. Otherwise it won't let you save the membership changes.

I haven't found anyone else referencing this issue anywhere, but surely we can't be the only ones who have run into this?

Monday, October 31, 2016 3:31 PM
  • Nope

Thanks, Rishi Pandit.

Tuesday, November 15, 2016 3:43 PM
  • It is still relevant issue today.
    Monday, July 22, 2019 1:34 PM