Buiding a DashBoard in Word 2010 or Standalone RRS feed

• Question

• I wish to build my users a DashBoard that has internal Hyperlinks to documents saved on a Mapped Drive to an internal server. The documents listed will be the most common used templates that the users create quotations etc. from.

What is the best method to do this? Put hyperlinks on a document, create a user form? I just don't know. I want to open the template as create new not edit the existing template.

I need the user to be able to keep this dashboard open while they create their various documents and just switch to it as and when they require an additional document.

Any ideas how to best produce this?

Thanks

Toni

Toni Chaffin aka Talisa

Monday, April 29, 2013 7:41 AM

Answers

• Hi Toni,

Two ideas come to mind.

1. You can Pin documents to the Recent list of files and I believe they stay at the top of the list. Simply Pin the available templates to the list
    2. Create a special Tab in the Backstage View of Word and create hot links to your templates there. See this link for info on Introduction to Backstage View for Developers

Kind Regards, Rich ... http://greatcirclelearning.com

• Marked as answer by TSRC Thursday, May 2, 2013 10:36 AM
    Thursday, May 2, 2013 3:54 AM

All replies

• Put hyperlinks on a document is fine (in my opinion)
    • To open the template as create new not edit the existing template, we can save the document as .dotx or .dotm format.
    • To keep this dashboard open, doesn't seem to be a problem?

So, maybe add a macro button to the ribbon to open the DashBoard document would work?

Max Meng
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, May 2, 2013 3:25 AM
  • Hi Toni,

Two ideas come to mind.

1. You can Pin documents to the Recent list of files and I believe they stay at the top of the list. Simply Pin the available templates to the list
    2. Create a special Tab in the Backstage View of Word and create hot links to your templates there. See this link for info on Introduction to Backstage View for Developers

Kind Regards, Rich ... http://greatcirclelearning.com

• Marked as answer by TSRC Thursday, May 2, 2013 10:36 AM
    Thursday, May 2, 2013 3:54 AM
  • This seems like a valid option. The only option I am considering is an Excel option where you hide the Excel Application by a button and re-enable it via another button.

Not sure. I will post my chosen solution on here once complete

Thanks

Toni

Toni Chaffin aka Talisa

Thursday, May 2, 2013 10:38 AM