none
Cumulative Task Duration RRS feed

• Question

• I want to change my start date to the duration start day.  I want to resemble a PERT/CPM chart, I am aware that I can view a similar chart under Network Diagram, however I am unable to change the value to indicate "Day 1."  I continue to receive an 'invalid date', because the word 'day'.  Any assistance would be appreciated. 
    Saturday, November 9, 2013 6:39 AM

Answers

• a.streeter,

For the Gantt Chart view the closest you will come is to set the timescale (double click on the timescale heading of the Gantt display) to either W1, W2, etc. from start, or Week 1, Week 2, etc. from start, or 1, 2, etc. from start.

For the Network Diagram, set all your tasks to manual scheduling. That will allow you to enter a string (e.g. day 1, day 2, etc.) into the Start and Finish fields. The Network Diagram boxes will then show the start and finish in terms of days.

To make things a bit easier to set up, try this process:

1. Set up your schedule using auto-schedule mode

2. Customize the Text1 field with this formula: ProjDateDiff([Project Start],[Start])/[Minutes Per Day]

3. Customize the Text2 field with this formula: ProjDateDiff([Project Start],[Finish])/[Minutes Per Day]

4. Now convert all tasks to manual schedule mode

5. Enter the calculated data from Text1 into the Start field of each task and the data from Text2 into the Finish field of each task

Now, your Network Diagram will be in terms of days from the project start. Note: this process will not work with the Gantt Chart view since that view will show all tasks starting on the Project Start date (constraints are not allowed for manually scheduled tasks).

Hope this helps.

John

• Edited by John - Project Saturday, November 9, 2013 4:43 PM better info
    • Marked as answer by a.streeter Saturday, April 25, 2015 8:00 PM
    Saturday, November 9, 2013 4:25 PM

All replies

• Could you please elaborate a bit more, also which version of Project you are using?

Sapna Shukla

Saturday, November 9, 2013 8:35 AM
  • a.streeter,

For the Gantt Chart view the closest you will come is to set the timescale (double click on the timescale heading of the Gantt display) to either W1, W2, etc. from start, or Week 1, Week 2, etc. from start, or 1, 2, etc. from start.

For the Network Diagram, set all your tasks to manual scheduling. That will allow you to enter a string (e.g. day 1, day 2, etc.) into the Start and Finish fields. The Network Diagram boxes will then show the start and finish in terms of days.

To make things a bit easier to set up, try this process:

1. Set up your schedule using auto-schedule mode

2. Customize the Text1 field with this formula: ProjDateDiff([Project Start],[Start])/[Minutes Per Day]

3. Customize the Text2 field with this formula: ProjDateDiff([Project Start],[Finish])/[Minutes Per Day]

4. Now convert all tasks to manual schedule mode

5. Enter the calculated data from Text1 into the Start field of each task and the data from Text2 into the Finish field of each task

Now, your Network Diagram will be in terms of days from the project start. Note: this process will not work with the Gantt Chart view since that view will show all tasks starting on the Project Start date (constraints are not allowed for manually scheduled tasks).

Hope this helps.

John

• Edited by John - Project Saturday, November 9, 2013 4:43 PM better info
    • Marked as answer by a.streeter Saturday, April 25, 2015 8:00 PM
    Saturday, November 9, 2013 4:25 PM