Microsoft 6to4 Adapter - after recovery RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi,

I've been having the same trouble as several others with the microsoft 6to4 adapter.

Basically I havent been able to get a wireless connection because the adapter says it has an error. I tried the steps of doing a system restore, with no success. So with no other solution on the horizon I decided to try a system recovery, as detailed in one of the other threads.

So  I completed the recovery fine, except the connection is still not working - the 6to4 adapter is not showing up in device manager now at all. So I tried to add legacy hardware, and it seems to go through the motions, except it doesnt show up in device manager afterwards - and still I have no wireless connection.

A system recovery was my last resort, it took a lot to back up all the files on the laptop, and still the thing wont work - please can someone help?

Tuesday, April 1, 2008 2:28 PM

Answers

• Hello Tiberius,

If the wireless network card cannot be recognized at all, I suspect it to be damaged or poor-connected. In such a case, you may need to contact HP and report this issue, calling for mending service if necessary.

Besides, as a tiny possible cause, please check your device manager that if your wireless network card is recognized as some other device incorrectly.

Hope it helps!

Cheers,

Lionel

Wednesday, April 9, 2008 1:53 AM

All replies

• Hello,

Generally, abnormal status of Microsoft 6to4 adapter won’t affect wireless connections.

Have you enabled Show hidden devices in Device Manager – View? The 6to4 adapter can only be shown when this view is enabled.

Besides, you may try to reinstall the driver for your wireless network adapter. Driver missing or corrupt may be the root cause of wireless network connectivity loss.

Hope this helps! If the problem persists, let me know about your computer’s information, including the motherboard and wireless network card.

Cheers,

Lionel

Thursday, April 3, 2008 8:55 AM
  •  

Thanks Lionel,

The 6to4 adapt is showing up without errors now.

This prob sounds silly but is there a way of asking the computer which motherboard and wireless card I use?

Thursday, April 3, 2008 5:47 PM
  • hi Lionel

been following your threads and you have been very helpful.Got a que? though.

in the network adapters,lf 6to4 #2 is missing does tha mean l wont be able to connect wirelessly without it ?

many thanks once again!

Friday, April 4, 2008 9:00 PM
  • Hi all,

By default, the Microsoft 6to4 adapter is hidden in Device Manager, you may need to enable the view option to show it up. Unless, the adapter is failed to recognized or running.

If you’ve successfully solved the 6to4 adapter error but the wireless network issue remains, they should be not interconnected - generally, they are not.

To find the model of your wireless network card and motherboard, you may go to your computer manufacturer’s website to check the specifications or contact their support center. If your computer is assembled by yourself or the wireless network card is standalone, you may find the models in the manual shipped with the devices.

Cheers,

Lionel

Monday, April 7, 2008 3:53 AM
  • Hi Lionel,

Thanks for everything to this point.

The Adapter is now ok Smile

When I run the why wireless isnt working option it says I dont have a network card installed.

I have a Compaq Presario F500, and have tried updating drivers but nothing seems to work.

I just updated loads of item for HP and Nvidia via microsoft updates without any sucess.

Any ideas?

Tuesday, April 8, 2008 11:11 PM
  • Hello Tiberius,

If the wireless network card cannot be recognized at all, I suspect it to be damaged or poor-connected. In such a case, you may need to contact HP and report this issue, calling for mending service if necessary.

Besides, as a tiny possible cause, please check your device manager that if your wireless network card is recognized as some other device incorrectly.

Hope it helps!

Cheers,

Lionel

Wednesday, April 9, 2008 1:53 AM