none
MDT2013 - How to deploy Office365 Click-to-Run in Applications? RRS feed

• Question

• I used the Office Deployment Tool to create a click-to-run setup to install Office 365 Pro Plus Retail.  This works well if I map the network share, and run it with: setup.exe /configure configuration.xml.  Unfortunately, I can't seem to get this to work if I create a new Application in my Deployment Share.  Is there a way to do this through MDT 2013?  Can you please explain how to do this?  I'm an MDT newbie :)

Thank you!

Friday, May 9, 2014 2:23 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Fernando,

Please refer the link 

http://blog.augustoalvarez.com.ar/2011/01/16/deploying-windows-7-office-2010-using-microsoft-deployment-toolkit-mdt-2010-part-ii/

Friday, May 9, 2014 6:51 AM
  • Hi,

Actually "Strike First" link is to deploy Office (not Office 365)

I've written an extensive blog tutorial about how to install Office 365.

Have a look: Office 365 – Automatic deployment of Office 365 with MDT

Cheers!

If this post is helpful please click "Mark for answer", thanks! Kind regards

Friday, May 9, 2014 7:06 AM
  • Thank you, Strike First.

Rens Hollanders, thank you for the documentation in your blog.  However, it seems that I'll need to create a script to copy the contents of my Office 365 install network share, to the local temp folder in an imaged desktop.  Does this seem correct?  

I'm not sure what the %~DP0*.* really does though...should I point it to my network share instead?  Which is \\IP_address_of_file_server\Support\O365ProPlusRetailx86\.  Inside the O365ProPlusRetailx86, I have the configuration.xml and setup.exe files needed.

xcopy "\\IP_address_of_file_server\Support\O365ProPlusRetailx86\*.*" C:\Windows\Temp\O365ProPlusRetailx86 /E /I /Y

C:\Windows\Temp\0365ProPlusRetailx86\setup.exe /CONFIGURE configuration.xml

rmdir C:\Windows\Temp\O365ProPlusRetailx86 /S /Q

exit

Would that work instead?

Saturday, May 10, 2014 12:59 AM
  • Hi,

From stackoverflow.com

Let's dissect it. There are three parts:

1. cd -- This is change directory command.
    2. /d -- This switch makes cd change both drive and directory at once. Without it you would have to do cd %~d0 & cd %~p0.
    3. %~dp0 -- This can be dissected further into three parts:
      1. %0 -- This represents zeroth parameter of your batch script. It expands into the name of the batch file itself.
      2. %~0 -- The ~ there strips double quotes (") around the expanded argument.
      3. %dp0 -- The d and p there are modifiers of the expansion. The d forces addition of a drive letter and the p adds full path.

So basically it represents the full path to the location from where the script is executed, without having to use the full path like you did. Your script creates a dependency with that specific server or IP address, so whenever the location changes, you'll need to modify your script. While using the %~DP0 represents the full path.

Also I would not recommend removing the temp directory immediately in the same script but do a cleanup action with another commandline or script afterwards. Reason for this is that the installation of Office-365 takes time, and you don't want to have the directory removed due to execution of the script, when Office-365 is still installing.

Not having the rmdir in your script forces MDT to wait for the completion of the Office-365 installation, according to my experience.

Cheers!

Saturday, May 10, 2014 8:29 AM
  • Ah, gotcha.  In your "install.cmd", you have the: rmdir C:\Windows\Temp\O365SmallBusPremRetail /S /Q

I will omit that then since your reply makes sense.  I will try this on Monday.  Thank you again!

Saturday, May 10, 2014 10:05 PM
  • Indeed, true, but after some testing I changed it to remove it on a later point. Just to be sure.

I'll update my blog, thanks for getting back to me!

Saturday, May 10, 2014 10:14 PM
  • i have to deploy O365 pro plus using a SCCM/MDT stand alone media.In that case the media will not access the shared location. is there any solution for that. Leaving the path does work for manual installation but not with task sequence.

Thanks Chandan

Friday, February 6, 2015 8:29 AM
  • Chandan, there is no difference between running a cmd that copies the O365 files from a share to the remote client, then running it from a USB stick, which holds the same content.

There is however some diffrences between using SCCM vs. MDT USB sticks. SCCM (2007) use packages and are less easier to modify afterwards. Basically each modification requires you to create a new USB stick. While with MDT standalone media, the data on it, can be tempered with. Which is less time consuming while testing.

Cheers! Rens

Friday, February 6, 2015 8:35 AM
  • So, what path should be given in the configuration.XML file when the task sequence will run with a standlone USB media?   Thanks for your quick response.

Thanks Chandan

Friday, February 6, 2015 8:40 AM
  • The local drive letter of your USB media, while deploying. Which you can solve by using "%~DP0"

Cheers!

• Proposed as answer by Chandan.Omkar Tuesday, February 10, 2015 7:45 AM
    Friday, February 6, 2015 8:56 AM
  • Thanks. it worked like a charm.

Thanks Chandan

Tuesday, February 10, 2015 7:45 AM