Windows 2008 R2 Server Manager is Corrupt RRS feed

Answers

• Tim,

The issue has been resolved; the issue was a Security Update -- Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 2
    (KB974470) that was corrupted---however, it took us about 4 hrs to remove it---re-installed it afterwards and the Server Manager Features & Roles Summaries came right up. 

Thanks for your help,

Jim
    • Marked as answer by Tim Quan Tuesday, January 26, 2010 1:13 AM
    Monday, January 25, 2010 1:15 PM

All replies

• Hi Jim,

Please run the System Update Readiness Tool first and let me know the result in %SYSTEMROOT%\Logs\CBS\CheckSUR.log:

Description of the System Update Readiness Tool for Windows Vista, for Windows Server 2008, for Windows 7, and for Windows Server 2008 R2

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/947821/en-us

Tim Quan - MSFT

Thursday, January 7, 2010 3:39 AM
  • Tim,

As instructed, please see below log--

=================================
    Checking System Update Readiness.
    Binary Version 6.0.6002.22202
    Package Version 6.0
    2010-01-07 08:06

Checking Windows Servicing Packages

Checking Package Manifests and Catalogs

Checking Package Watchlist

Checking Component Watchlist

Checking Packages

Checking Component Store

Summary:
    Seconds executed: 248
     No errors detected

Thursday, January 7, 2010 1:14 PM
  • Hi,

Thank for the reply.

As no error is reported, we can infer your issue is not the same as

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/winservermanager/thread/0ea29f7a-e45a-4bbb-ac59-42f7166dd11b

Please send me the following files for further research:

%SystemRoot%\logs\ServerManager.log

%SystemRoot%\logs\cbs\cbs.log

https://sftus.one.microsoft.com/choosetransfer.aspx?key=c202fba9-4929-444a-b6aa-0cc7ac70bd1f

Password: xOfJlP%HbMRun

Tim Quan - MSFT

Friday, January 8, 2010 7:41 AM
  • Hi,

How are things going? I have not heard back from you in a few days and wanted to check on the status of the issue. Please let me know how things turned out.

Tim Quan - MSFT

Wednesday, January 13, 2010 2:30 AM
  • Sorry, both logs have been uploaded.  Thanks, Jim
    Wednesday, January 13, 2010 12:18 PM
  • Hi Jim,

Thank you for sending me the files.

From the log files, I noticed the cause is “C:\Windows\system32\ServerManager\Cache\CbsUpdateState.bin does not exist”.

Sometimes this file could be deleted by Symantec EndPoint Protection software.

I suggest restoring the Cache folder to the state when CbsUpdateState.bin existed.

Open C:\Windows\system32\ServerManager, right-click Cache and click Properties. On the Previous Version tab, choose a folder version which contains the CbsUpdateState.bin file and click Restore.

Hope it helps.

Tim Quan - MSFT

Thursday, January 14, 2010 4:33 AM
  • Tim,

No-go; the cache folder has no files inside---I even copied said file from another W2K server and that didn't work....grrrrrrrrrr.

Thanks,

Jim
    Thursday, January 14, 2010 5:24 PM
  • Hi Jim,

Thank you for the reply.

There should be two files in C:\Windows\system32\ServerManager\Cache:

CbsUpdateInfo.bin

CbsUpdateState.bin

Now I would like to confirm whether you have Symantec EndPoint Protection software installed. If so, please temporary remove it and restart the computer to test the result.

These two folder should be recreated automatically after restarting.

If the issue persists, let’s try Clean Boot:

Clean Boot

=======

Let’s disable all startup items and third party services when booting. This method will help us determine if this issue is caused by a loading program or service. Please perform the following steps:

1. Click the Start Button type "msconfig" (without quotation marks) in the Start Search box, and then press Enter.

Note: If prompted, please click Continue on the User Account Control (UAC) window.

2. Click the "Services" tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and click "Disable All" (if it is not gray).

3. Click the "Startup" tab, click "Disable All" and click "OK".

Then, restart the computer. When the "System Configuration Utility" window appears, please check the "Don't show this message or launch the System Configuration Utility when Windows starts" box and click OK.

Please test this issue in the Clean Boot environment, if the issue disappears in the Clean Boot environment, we can use a 50/50 approach to quickly narrow down which entry is causing the issue.

Hope it helps.

Tim Quan - MSFT

Friday, January 15, 2010 3:32 AM
  • Hi Jim,

How are things going? I have not heard back from you in a few days and wanted to check on the status of the issue. Please let me know how things turned out.

Tim Quan - MSFT

Monday, January 18, 2010 6:15 AM
  • Give me till tomorrow please...crisis mode on something else right now...

Thanks,

Jim
    Tuesday, January 19, 2010 6:50 PM
  • no-go; I wonder if re-install SP2 might resolved the issue?  Any thoughts?
    Wednesday, January 20, 2010 1:39 PM
  • Hi Jim,

As you are running Windows Server 2008 R2, you cannot install SP2 on it. Now no service pack is available to Windows Server 2008 R2.

Now I suggest removing Symantec EndPoint Protection software (if you installed) and then running System File Checker:

1. Open an elevated command prompt. To do this, click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator.

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Allow. 

2.  At the command prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:

sfc /scannow

Restart the computer, keep pressing F8 to enter Safe Mode and then check whether these two files appear.

Hope it helps.

Tim Quan - MSFT

Thursday, January 21, 2010 2:59 AM
  • Tim,

No-go, receive the below error---C:\Users\jrodrigu>sfc /scannow
    Beginning system scan.  This process will take some time.
    Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation.

I am going to open a PSS Call; will post results---

Friday, January 22, 2010 1:28 PM
  • Tim,

The issue has been resolved; the issue was a Security Update -- Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 2
    (KB974470) that was corrupted---however, it took us about 4 hrs to remove it---re-installed it afterwards and the Server Manager Features & Roles Summaries came right up. 

Thanks for your help,

Jim
    • Marked as answer by Tim Quan Tuesday, January 26, 2010 1:13 AM
    Monday, January 25, 2010 1:15 PM
  • Hi Jim,

Thank you very much for letting me know how you resolved this issue. I believe this will benefit other people who encounter the same issue in the future.

Tim Quan - MSFT

Tuesday, January 26, 2010 1:13 AM