Hard Disk Critical Error RRS feed

• Question

• Hi! :)

My sister is using our laptop when a critical error suddenly popped up saying that the hard disk might fail. I've saved the log from the Event Viewer here: https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=1285527DC975EB6F%21105. Does anyone know what's wrong with the hard disk? We bought the laptop only last year (or maybe last, last year latest). Thanks in advance!

Regards,

Grace :)

Monday, December 1, 2014 11:47 PM

Answers

• Depending on the amount of critical data you have you could upload it to your OneDrive. But overall it might be good just not to use your computer as much until you can get a good backup. If you need to use it just keep it cool.

Oh, I forgot you mentioned you didn't know what compressed air was in reguards to blowing out dust. Compressed air can be from an air compressor or you can find these things Canned air When you have canned air you can blow out the fan to through the heat sink. If you looking at the bottom of the laptop you should see the fan.

As far as hard drive brands go Hitatchi in my opinion is good. They are owned by Western Digital now BTW. Seagate can be good as well. Laptop drives are a mixed bag in my opinion just because there is a lot of variables into there life span. When looking at drives you will see different colors and models. If you look at the warranty you will see 2, 3 and 5 year warranty's. Typically a 5 year warranty drive should be a good drive. 3 year is good as well and could be thought of as the norm. 2 year you might have issues with heat and small bumps quicker. I think I've used every brand of drive for laptops and they all seem to fail about the same.

Since they fail about the same I would recommend do backups daily of your critical data. The nice thing if you buy a drive with a longer warranty if and when it dies you can get it replaced for a minimal shipping fee.

• Marked as answer by Yolanda Zhu Wednesday, December 10, 2014 10:13 AM
    Wednesday, December 3, 2014 3:27 PM

All replies

• It's a S.M.A.R.T error which is what the hard drive uses to report it's health. Based on this I couldn't tell you why.  You could run a utility like this SpeedFan.

It should show you the errors and why. Sometimes drives will only last a year, especially in laptops because there are being moved, dropped and all kinds of conditions are being bestowed to them.

A common issue can be heat. Since it is Winter time have you been using your laptop near space heaters and heater vents? Or have you noticed your laptops temperature has increased, possibly from dust?

Tuesday, December 2, 2014 12:02 AM
  • I've downloaded SpeedFan, and here is a screenshot: https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=1285527DC975EB6F!114&authkey=!AIsza_hMZcaVdDM&v=3&ithint=photo%2cpng. Do you need anymore info? Also, does this mean that if I buy a laptop cooling pad, then my laptop will be ok? Or is it too late? >_< I'm from the Philippines, so it's still quite hot here even though it's Christmas time.
    Tuesday, December 2, 2014 12:33 AM
  • Ah yes hot and humid, can you actually go to the S.M.A.R.T tab and see what is there? Those temperatures are quite hot! You are at 41C on the hard drive which is the boarder of trouble zone for some hard drives. The S.M.A.R.T tab should show that info.

if its temperature related you should be okay to continue using that drive as long as you can cool it down. But if its something else on the drive you might want to be worried. If you have compressed air of some kind you can try and shoot it up through the fan and out of the side to see if it cleans up dust.

Tuesday, December 2, 2014 6:09 AM
  • Hello Grace,

I had faced a similar problem with my HDD and i backed up my important data to an external HDD and replaced my HDD with a new HDD .Also Check whether you are facing any heating problem(below the laptop) after running your laptop for sometime.Also check for Dust inside the laptop Motherboard.Did the Laptop fell anywhere while using?

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&lc=en&docname=c00480479

Tuesday, December 2, 2014 6:21 AM
  • Sorry for the really late reply. I just got back from work. >_<V

Hi Jugganutz1871! :)

The screenshot for the S.M.A.R.T tab is here: https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=1285527DC975EB6F!115&authkey=!AEkzGCyC1uxcCvQ&v=3&ithint=photo%2cpng. I just opened my laptop, but the readings are still quite high: GPU: 55C; HD0: 38C; Temp1: 60C; Core 0: 58C; Core 1: 59C. Do you have any idea why the temperatures are still quite high even though I just opened the laptop? Also what did you mean by "If you have compressed air of some kind you can try and shoot it up through the fan and out of the side to see if it cleans up dust."?

Hi rishab! :)

Yes, my laptop does get hot after using it for some time. How do I check for dust inside the motherboard? I'm quite wary because I'm not confident in opening my laptop. I might make it worse. >_< Yes, unfortunately, my laptop fell once (or twice, at most.)

Thank you very much to both of you for replying! :)

Regards,

• Edited by Grace17 Tuesday, December 2, 2014 2:27 PM
    Tuesday, December 2, 2014 2:26 PM
  • Grace,

Yes you will want to backup your data as soon as possible. It looks like your S.M.A.R.T is for "Current Pending Sector Count".

Definition:

Count of "unstable" sectors (waiting to be remapped, because of unrecoverable read errors). If an unstable sector is subsequently read successfully, the sector is remapped and this value is decreased. Read errors on a sector will not remap the sector immediately (since the correct value cannot be read and so the value to remap is not known, and also it might become readable later); instead, the drive firmware remembers that the sector needs to be remapped, and will remap it the next time it's written.<sup class="reference" id="cite_ref-35">[35]</sup> However some drives will not immediately remap such sectors when written; instead the drive will first attempt to write to the problem sector and if the write operation is successful then the sector will be marked good (in this case, the "Reallocation Event Count" (0xC4) will not be increased). This is a serious shortcoming, for if such a drive contains marginal sectors that consistently fail only after some time has passed following a successful write operation, then the drive will never remap these problem sectors.

That being said Backup your data right away and then follow it up with a check disk. To do a check do the following.

Go to start, then type CMD and press enter.

In the command window type "chkdsk c: /f /r" without quotes. You should get a prompt about it not being able to be done online and if you would like to schedule it for the next reboot. Say Yes to the next reboot. The next process with start doing a scan and a fix if possible. It might take a bit so be patient. 

Once the chkdsk is ran you should be able to check S.MA.R.T again to see if the error persists. If it does I would recommend seeing if your laptop is in warranty or procure a new hard disk.

• Proposed as answer by Adam Schildmeyer Tuesday, December 2, 2014 11:53 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by ZigZag3143x Tuesday, December 2, 2014 11:58 PM
    Tuesday, December 2, 2014 3:25 PM

I wasn't able to back up my data yet, since I'll only be able to buy an external HDD this weekend. >_< I performed check disk anyway, and the following are the results:

CHKDSK is verifying files (stage 1 of 5)..
    307456 file records processed.
    File verification completed.
    1669 large file records processed.
    0 bad file records processed.
    0 EA records processed.
    60 reparse records processed.
    CHKDSK is verifying indexes (stage 2 of 5)...
    388586 index entries processed.
    Index verification completed.
    0 unindexed files scanned.
    0 unindexed files recovered.
    CHKDSK is verifying security descriptors (stage 3 of 5)...
    307456 file SDs/SIDS processed.
    Security descriptor verification completed.
    40566 data files prcessed.
    CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal...
    34045232 USN btes processed.

Usn Journal verification compeleted.
    CHKDSK is verifying file data (stage 4 of 5)...
    Windows replaced bad clusters in file 43102 of name \Users\Grace\DOWNLO~1\146759~3\KA4818~1.PNG
    307440 files processed.
    File data verification completed.
    CHKDSK is verifying free space (stage 5 of 5)...
    48537618 free clusters processed.

Free space verification is complete.
    Adding 1 bad clusters to the BAd Blusters File.
    Correcting errors in the Volume Bitmap.
    Windows has made corrections to the file system.

314572799 KB total disk space.
    119834388 KB in 193489 files.
          169568 KB in 40567 indexes.
                    4 KB in bad sectors.
          418367 KB in use by the system.
    194150472 KB available ondisk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
     78643199 total allocation units on disk.
     48537618 allocation units available on disk.

I checked the S.M.A.R.T. tab again. Some numbers changed, but there's still a Current Pending Sector Count: https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=1285527DC975EB6F!116&authkey=!AFC47Dc8Z30TWq8&v=3&ithint=photo%2cpng

Thanks,
    • Edited by Grace17 Tuesday, December 2, 2014 6:03 PM
    Tuesday, December 2, 2014 5:56 PM
  • It's probably a seagate, which used to be the best you can get, but over the past few years they have turned into the worst you can buy... I would suggest you backup the data, and go get an SSD.. even if it is much smaller 128GB or 256GB you are better off.. It will be MUCH faster, and because there is no moving parts it will not get hot.. or have breakdown due to heat like a normal spinning disk will.. If you do it sooner vs later, you might be able to just clone the OS rather then having to do a full re-installation..

Rob

Tuesday, December 2, 2014 6:58 PM
  • Agree, with themanindbox doing an SSD if possible. For SSD's i would recommend Intel, Samsung or Crucial. I seemed to have issues with failure quickly with every other brand on the market. But I'm not sure the cost on those in the Philippians.

So, I would recommend backing up and if possible many retail based hard drives come with a cloning kit to do it yourself. You can use the built in windows backup as well to the external USB.

Tuesday, December 2, 2014 11:43 PM
  • Hi Grace17,

To ensure the safety of the important data ,I agree with Jugganutz1871,themanindbox,you need to backup your important data to a separate media .

" We bought the laptop only last year "The machine may still be in warranty.

Considering this is a hardware issue ,I recommend you to contact the manufacturer for support

Best regards

Wednesday, December 3, 2014 1:19 AM

"It's probably a seagate" --> Based on the hard disk is Hitachi HTS547575A9E384.  Are Hitachi hard disks no good too? If I choose to buy HDD (because of the price), do you have any suggestions on which brands are good?

"For SSD's i would recommend Intel, Samsung or Crucial." --> Ok, I'll be sure to choose them if I buy an SSD. :) (I'm not sure yet, depends on how expensive they are.)

"The machine may still be in warranty." --> We bought it around April 2013, but the warranty is only for 1 year. >_<

Do any of you have suggestions on what I can do to ensure that the hard disk doesn't fail yet? Because I'll only be able to buy the SSD/HDD and external HDD on the weekend. I don't want to lose my data before then.

Thanks, everyone! :)

Wednesday, December 3, 2014 3:02 PM
  • Depending on the amount of critical data you have you could upload it to your OneDrive. But overall it might be good just not to use your computer as much until you can get a good backup. If you need to use it just keep it cool.

Oh, I forgot you mentioned you didn't know what compressed air was in reguards to blowing out dust. Compressed air can be from an air compressor or you can find these things Canned air When you have canned air you can blow out the fan to through the heat sink. If you looking at the bottom of the laptop you should see the fan.

As far as hard drive brands go Hitatchi in my opinion is good. They are owned by Western Digital now BTW. Seagate can be good as well. Laptop drives are a mixed bag in my opinion just because there is a lot of variables into there life span. When looking at drives you will see different colors and models. If you look at the warranty you will see 2, 3 and 5 year warranty's. Typically a 5 year warranty drive should be a good drive. 3 year is good as well and could be thought of as the norm. 2 year you might have issues with heat and small bumps quicker. I think I've used every brand of drive for laptops and they all seem to fail about the same.

Since they fail about the same I would recommend do backups daily of your critical data. The nice thing if you buy a drive with a longer warranty if and when it dies you can get it replaced for a minimal shipping fee.

• Marked as answer by Yolanda Zhu Wednesday, December 10, 2014 10:13 AM
    Wednesday, December 3, 2014 3:27 PM
  • Ok, thank you very much! :)
    Wednesday, December 3, 2014 11:45 PM
  • No problem. Hopefully you do not suffer any data loss.
    Thursday, December 4, 2014 3:37 PM