none
Migrating Onpremise sharepoint site collection to Office 365 - SharePoint online

Question

• Hi,

I am migrating SharePoint onpremise site collection to office 365, i have exported site collection but when i am am trying to use ConvertTo-SPOMigrationTargetedPackage i get the following error,  however this works if i export a library and perform the required steps to import contents into office 365. I am following the article https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/nishants/2015/07/18/using-windows-powershell-cmdlets-for-sharepoint-online-o365spo-migration/ but instead of exporting a library i want to export and migrate a site collection. Can anyone please help ?

4/15/2017 6:32:13 AM Information Server build version is 16.0.6406.1204
    4/15/2017 6:32:14 AM Information Identifying migration objects
    4/15/2017 6:32:14 AM Error Fatal exception found: Package must have one root object -  -    at Microsoft.Online.SharePoint.Migration.MigrationPackageConverter.ConvertPackage(DirectoryInfo SourcePackageFilesPath, DirectoryInfo SourcePackageMetadataPath, DirectoryInfo OutputPackageMetadataPath, Uri TargetWebUrl, String TargetListPath, String TargetDocumentLibrarySubFolderPath, TargetEnvironment TargetEnvrionment, FileInfo UserMappingFile, Boolean ListIsDocumentLibrary, Boolean NoAzureADLookup, NetworkCredential AzureADUserCredentials)
    4/15/2017 6:32:14 AM Error Fatal exception found: Package must have one root object - 

Tuesday, April 25, 2017 5:50 AM

Answers

• Hi,

From the Step 1a of the TechNet blog, in the Note section, it says:

"SPO migration pipe is oriented for list and document library content only"

So, the solution should be for list and library content, not the entire site collection content.

If you want to migrate the content of a site collection from SharePoint On-premise to SharePoint Online, you can save the site collection as a template on On-premise and create a new site collection on SharePoint Online using the new template.

More information, you can refer to:

http://blog.ciaops.com/2013/07/using-site-template-with-new-site.html

Or, you can use a third party tool to migrate the content.

Thanks,

Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

• Marked as answer by qwerty_sunny Wednesday, May 3, 2017 7:59 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by qwerty_sunny Wednesday, May 3, 2017 8:00 AM
    • Marked as answer by qwerty_sunny Wednesday, May 3, 2017 8:00 AM
    Thursday, April 27, 2017 8:41 AM
  • Hi qwerty,

When we save a site as template, there is an option "Include Content", in its description, it says that Item security is not maintained in a template.

So, this issue should be an expected behavior.

Thanks,

Wendy

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

• Marked as answer by qwerty_sunny Saturday, May 20, 2017 3:39 PM
    Thursday, May 4, 2017 1:48 AM

All replies

• Hi,

From the Step 1a of the TechNet blog, in the Note section, it says:

"SPO migration pipe is oriented for list and document library content only"

So, the solution should be for list and library content, not the entire site collection content.

If you want to migrate the content of a site collection from SharePoint On-premise to SharePoint Online, you can save the site collection as a template on On-premise and create a new site collection on SharePoint Online using the new template.

More information, you can refer to:

http://blog.ciaops.com/2013/07/using-site-template-with-new-site.html

Or, you can use a third party tool to migrate the content.

Thanks,

Wendy

• Marked as answer by qwerty_sunny Wednesday, May 3, 2017 7:59 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by qwerty_sunny Wednesday, May 3, 2017 8:00 AM
    • Marked as answer by qwerty_sunny Wednesday, May 3, 2017 8:00 AM
    Thursday, April 27, 2017 8:41 AM
  • thanks for the information, it was really helpful. I tried the save site as template method, it worked but unfortunately it did not copy over the user permissions. Am i missing anything or this is an expected behavior ?
    Wednesday, May 3, 2017 8:02 AM
  • Hi qwerty,

When we save a site as template, there is an option "Include Content", in its description, it says that Item security is not maintained in a template.

So, this issue should be an expected behavior.

Thanks,

Wendy

• Marked as answer by qwerty_sunny Saturday, May 20, 2017 3:39 PM
    Thursday, May 4, 2017 1:48 AM