SBA and Skype for Business FE at the same location RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Customer heard about SBA and he wants to have SBA at the same site as Skype for Business Front-end.

Can I do that without any problems?

Thursday, January 18, 2018 4:32 PM

All replies

• When you say site, do you mean a "site" in the topology? Or do you mean the same physical location?
    Thursday, January 18, 2018 5:03 PM
  • I mean both.

Site in Topology and Location as physical one.

Thursday, January 18, 2018 10:37 PM
  • Hi iron_flower,

Based on my test, if you want to deploy SBA in the topology like following screenshot, you can’t use the same site name of your SFB FE, you need to input different SBA site name.

You can deploy it in the same physical site. Please note after you add the SBA in the topology, please republish the topology.

I will share a document about how to deploy SBA, its similar to SFB 2015
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg398849%28v=ocs.15%29.aspx

Regards,

Alice Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Friday, January 19, 2018 6:30 AM
  • Ok.

I will create a new site in Topology.

But does it make any problems (that is in the same physical location) regarding:

- registration

- DNS records

- network records

?

Friday, January 19, 2018 8:04 AM
  • Deleted
    Friday, January 19, 2018 11:30 AM
  • The real question you should be asking is "why?". This is not how SBA's are designed to be used and you don't gain anything by having one in the same location as your Front End server. Its throwing money out the window.
    Friday, January 19, 2018 4:08 PM
  • But they want to have extra registration point. In case there is a problem they will register to Front-end. 

Can we make it other way (first registration is FE, second one is SBA)?

I agree with you, but if they want it, I need to make implementation.

Saturday, January 20, 2018 4:45 PM
  • If a user is homed to the SBA, the SBA will always be the first registrar and the FE the second. If a user is homed to the FE, the FE will be the only registrar.

In your design, keep in mind if the FE goes down those users on the SBA will lose (Conferencing, Contact List, RGS, Call Park, Ability to modify Presence and Call Forwarding Settings ...)

Speaking voice, SBAs are install inside a SBC, so if the SBC hardware is down you must have another route to PSTN from the FE vs. leveraging the same SBC for both.

A better option might be two Standard Edition Front Ends paired and in the event of a outage, runs a few PowerShell commands to rehome the users to the other pool (DR). Or Enterprise Edition with 3 Front Ends (HA).

Please mark posts as answers/helpful if it answers your question.
    Blog
    Skype Validator - Used to assist in the validation and documentation of Skype for Business/Lync Server.

Saturday, January 20, 2018 6:53 PM
  • OK.

That was understood.

And how should I set the DNS records:

- lyncdiscoverinternal.domain.com

There is only one DNS system.

Sunday, January 21, 2018 3:24 PM
  • Point SFB DNS records to the FE Pool, users will then be directed to the SBA FQDN if homed there and the client will cache the info.

Please mark posts as answers/helpful if it answers your question.
    Blog
    Skype Validator - Used to assist in the validation and documentation of Skype for Business/Lync Server.

Sunday, January 21, 2018 9:05 PM
  • Hi,

Are there any update about this issue?

Regards,

Alice Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Alice-Wang Friday, January 26, 2018 9:29 AM
    Tuesday, January 23, 2018 9:25 AM
  • Hi,

If the reply is helpful to you, please mark it as answer, it will help others who has similar issue

Best Regards,
    Alice Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Monday, February 5, 2018 9:43 AM