How to change mail server hostname in Windows App version of Outlook 2016 RRS feed

• Question

• Most of you know by now that Microsoft removed most of the email account settings from Outlook's mail account configuration this fall.  MS has a KB article

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3189194/how-to-disable-simplified-account-creation-in-outlook that explains how to get the old interface to appear so one can actually change settings.

However we have at least one client who apparently installed the Windows App version of Office, and it does not have the Office registry settings (and the above doesn't work when entered into the registry).  Further there is no Mail icon in Control panel and although I found the MLCFG32.CPL icon under the WindowsApps directory, double clicking it or trying to open via RunDLL does nothing...nothing appears.

Any suggestions other than uninstalling Office and reinstalling using the CTR version and then putting in this registry fix JUST to change the mail server name?  Deleting and recreating the email account seems easier, however, I have no idea whether or even how it will autodetect the correct mail server hostname since it is not the same as the domain name.

Thanks,

Steve

Tuesday, October 30, 2018 7:04 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I found one article here:Change your Password and Server Settings in Outlook 2016

(Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.)

You can change the server setting for POP account via Send/Receive menu > Send/Receive Groups > Define Send/Receive Groups.

Hope this is helpful to you.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Edited by Perry-Pan Wednesday, November 7, 2018 6:41 AM
    • Marked as answer by teamits Thursday, November 8, 2018 7:53 PM
    Wednesday, November 7, 2018 6:41 AM

All replies

• Hi Steve,

What type of account are you going to add to Outlook? Exchange, POP or IMAP?

For Outlook 2016, Exchange account can only be configured using auto account setup. Outlook will find the correct account server information via Autodiscover records which should be published by your administrator.

If you manage multiple domains, you can set redirects for other domains or add srv records. For users, you can log in directly.

As here we mainly focus on issues regarding Outlook client, I’m not familiar with server setting. For more details, you could contact your server provider.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Wednesday, October 31, 2018 6:36 AM
  • Hi, sorry, this is for an existing POP account.  Just need to change the POP and SMTP server hostnames.
    Thursday, November 1, 2018 2:47 PM
  • Hi Steve,

To change the SMTP server information of a POP account, you can click Control Pane > Mail > Email Accounts. Select your account and click Change. You should see the old version window.

Besides, we can also turn off the simplified version and revert to the older Add Account dialog by editing the registry.

Please open Registry Editor from Start and locate following path:

(Important Follow the steps in this section carefully. Serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Before you modify it, back up the registry for restoration in case problems occur.

Please refer to this article about how to back up and restore the registry in Windows)

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\​SOFTWARE\​Microsoft\​Office\​16.0\​Outlook\​setup

Click Edit > New > DWORD and then type the name "DisableOffice365SimplifiedAccountCreation".

Set the value to 1 and restart computer.

One official article for your reference.

Regards,

Perry

• Edited by Perry-Pan Friday, November 2, 2018 5:47 AM
    Friday, November 2, 2018 5:40 AM
  • Hi Perry, as noted in my OP the Mail icon is not present in the Windows App version of Office 2016, and the registry entries are not present either and that one does not work if added.

What I need is a version of the MS KB article that applies to the Windows App version of Office.  Unless MS seriously expects customers to uninstall it and install the regular program just to change settings.

Friday, November 2, 2018 2:39 PM
  • Hi,

Sorry about this. Could we know what's the detailed version of Office?

Do you set Outlook as the default mail app on Windows?

>>What I need is a version of the MS KB article that applies to the Windows App version of Office.

Do you mean a document regarding updates for Office? Please check this article to see if it is helpful to you.

Normally, in your case, it is recommended to reinstall Office as this could be some problems during the installation. You can use the Easy Fix tool in this article.

Regards,

Perry

• Edited by Perry-Pan Tuesday, November 6, 2018 3:10 AM
    Tuesday, November 6, 2018 3:10 AM
  • It was Office 2016.  Since it's the Windows App (Store) version it is not listed in the Software listing on a PC so I can't give you the exact version, and the laptop is currently off so I can't connect to it.  It self updates of course so should be current.  Obviously it is updated past September-ish when Microsoft starting rolling out the "simplified" email account settings that hide most everything.

> Do you mean a document regarding updates for Office

No I am looking to display the old/non-simplified email account settings so I can change the POP and SMTP servers.  You've linked to an article about installing updates to Office.

Tuesday, November 6, 2018 5:49 PM
  • Hi,

Sorry for my misunderstanding before. The Windows App (Store) version is a little different from what you download from Microsoft website.

For the Windows App (Store) version, you won't have a Control Panel > Mail applet to manage profiles.  

Normally, the old dialog for Account Settings can be achieved by changing the account setting in Control Panel or adding the registry "DisableOffice365SimplifiedAccountCreation".

You could uninstall the Windows App (Store) version and then download the version from Microsoft website to check the results.

To uninstall Office from the Store, you have to go to Settings - Apps - Apps & features - Microsoft Office Desktop Apps - Uninstall. It is recommended to reboot after uninstalling the store version before installing C2R from Office.com.

Reference:

Download and install or reinstall Office 365 or Office 2019 on a PC or Mac

Regards,

Perry

• Edited by Perry-Pan Wednesday, November 7, 2018 6:15 AM
    Wednesday, November 7, 2018 6:01 AM
  • Hi,

I found one article here:Change your Password and Server Settings in Outlook 2016

(Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.)

You can change the server setting for POP account via Send/Receive menu > Send/Receive Groups > Define Send/Receive Groups.

Regards,

Perry

• Edited by Perry-Pan Wednesday, November 7, 2018 6:41 AM
    • Marked as answer by teamits Thursday, November 8, 2018 7:53 PM
    Wednesday, November 7, 2018 6:41 AM
  • Thank you for finding that article.  I had to wait until the laptop turned on again, but was able to use their method of Account Settings/Manage Profile/Email Accounts which does show the old interface, and changed the mail servers. I didn't try the send/receive group method, that sounded more complicated. :)

Steve

• Edited by teamits Thursday, November 8, 2018 7:58 PM
    Thursday, November 8, 2018 7:55 PM