none
wininit.exe - What is is and why is it constantly running? RRS feed

• Question

• Quick question

What is the "Windows Start-up application?" wininit.exe? It is always running and seems to be the parent of mostly all processes. Curiously, I used process explorer and suspended it. I used my computer normally for about half an hour and then resumed it again. Nothing slowed down or happend. Can some one tell me what this process is and what it does even AFTER windows has fully loaded up and the user signed in?

Thanks!

Wednesday, September 13, 2017 11:43 PM

Answers

• Hi NT_pro,

The process known as Windows Start-Up Application or Windows-Startanwendung belongs to software Microsoft Windows Operating System or Betriebssystem Microsoft Windows by Microsoft. This is a system critical process

The file was created to allow uninstallers to run and process commands stored in the file WinInit.ini. This allows programs to take action while the computer is still booting up. it primarily acts as a launcher for the majority of the background applications that are always running.

When you suspended it and ran system, it also could run the background service, so it resumed it again.

It’s safe. Ending this process will likely result in a critical system error in which you’ll need to restart your computer.

Hope it will be helpful to you

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by NT_pro Friday, September 15, 2017 10:52 PM
    Friday, September 15, 2017 11:06 AM

All replies

• Wininit.exe is a Windows system file,it is located in the C:\Windows\System32 folder.Wininit.exe is able to record keyboard and mouse inputs and manipulate other programs.

Ref:

https://www.file.net/process/wininit.exe.html

S.Sengupta,Microsoft MVP Windows and Devices for IT, Windows Insider MVP

Thursday, September 14, 2017 12:13 AM
  • Hi NT_pro,

The process known as Windows Start-Up Application or Windows-Startanwendung belongs to software Microsoft Windows Operating System or Betriebssystem Microsoft Windows by Microsoft. This is a system critical process

The file was created to allow uninstallers to run and process commands stored in the file WinInit.ini. This allows programs to take action while the computer is still booting up. it primarily acts as a launcher for the majority of the background applications that are always running.

When you suspended it and ran system, it also could run the background service, so it resumed it again.

It’s safe. Ending this process will likely result in a critical system error in which you’ll need to restart your computer.

Hope it will be helpful to you

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by NT_pro Friday, September 15, 2017 10:52 PM
    Friday, September 15, 2017 11:06 AM
  • Thanks!
    Friday, September 15, 2017 10:52 PM