Outlook 2016 GSSAPI AUTH with Dovecot IMAP? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi folks,

Wondering if anyone out there can confirm or deny support for IMAP GSSAPI authentication in Outlook 2016 (Windows)?

I have a working, GSSAPI-enabled Dovecot IMAP server that provides a nice single sign-on environment for folks with Thunderbird, but naturally, Outlook 2016 is the policy-mandated e-mail client for this particular environment.

Thanks for any ideas out there - I'm hoping for some magic registry setting that switches auth for a particular account from PLAIN to GSSAPI...

Robert

Thursday, October 26, 2017 8:03 PM

All replies

• Hi Robert,

Thanks for visiting our forum.

Based on my research, I am afraid Outlook is not included in the mail clients that support Kerberos GSSAPI authentication. For more information, please check the article below:

https://wiki1.dovecot.org/Authentication/Kerberos

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Then sorry but here we mainly focus on general discussions about Outlook client, so I'd like to encourage you also contact the Dovecot support to if you would like further assistance on this.

Hope you can find the above information helpful.

Best regards,
    Yuki Sun

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, October 27, 2017 7:55 AM
  • Yuki,

Naturally I've located the Dovecot documentation, but regarding GSSAPI, it is incomplete.  A suggestion on the Dovecot list was to actually ask the question here, in the "Pro" Outlook forum.

Outlook seems to support some kind of SSO (GSSAPI?) when used in conjunction with Exchange / ActiveSync;  I wonder if any folks (Microsoft developers?) more familiar with Outlook capabilities can comment on whether this is available for IMAP connections?

Robert

Monday, October 30, 2017 8:37 PM