locked
My Views stop working for some users RRS feed

  • Question

  • Hi All

    We have an intermittent problem with My Views on ProClarity 6.3.2220.103. Some users encounter an error message in ProClarity professional when trying to save to their My Views - they can open their My Views okay, they just can't amend them. The error message they get is: "My Views cannot be published because an error occured. Your change to My Views has not been saved. You should save the changed page to your local computer by adding it to a briefing book."

    I took a look at the data in the ProClarityPAS database "books" table to see if there was anything in common between users who experienced this problem and I noticed that in all cases the IsLocked column is set to 1 and there is a value in the LockedBy column.

    I've tried a hard update of these columns to reset IsLocked to 0 and remove the value in the LockedBy column but this didn't resolve the problem. Any idea what causes this locking issue and how to resolve it?

    Thanks & Regards,
    Katherine Keating
    Wednesday, March 3, 2010 9:46 AM

All replies

  • Hello Katherine,

    Thank you for posting this.  I have been working with another ProClarity customer on an identical issue for some time.  For the users who are experiencing the problem, do any of them have myviews that do not work and display the error message: "There is a problem with the {report} page and it cannot be loaded. Please contact the author of this page to correct the problem, or choose another page."

    The 'islocked' flag in the books database is a result of the error, but not the cause.  It is a good way to get a list of which users are being affected by this.  Did the problem start at the same time for a number of users... perhaps when the cube structure was changed or access levels were altered using dimension security in SSAS?  How many of your users (%) would you say are seeing the error?

    Thanks,
    Sean
    Microsoft ProClarity | This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Wednesday, March 3, 2010 9:53 PM
  • Hi Sean

    Thanks for the response.

    The problems didn't all start at the same time and it affects a small percentage of users. Maybe 5-10 users overall. Some users had the problem for a short period of time and it seemed to rectify itself but for a couple of other users the issue has not gone away.

    I doubt the issues would have been caused by cube structure changes or access level changes - the reason I say this is that one of the users is in an unrestricted group so I know their access would not have changed. We have had a few cube deployments but I am very aware of the impact cube changes have on the ProClarity reports so we avoid removing/renaming attributes or measures.

    I will contact one of the users and ask them to execute each of their My Views to determine if there are any that are 'broken' and report back....

    Thanks again,
    Katherine


    Thursday, March 4, 2010 9:01 AM
  • Hi Sean

    Eventually getting back to you...

    I followed up on this issue with one user who is experiencing problems with her My Views. The user can successfully run each of the My View reports - there are no missing data issues or errors.

    We saved the users My View reports to a briefing book, deleted all her My Views and added them back one by one. The My View issues re-appeared when the last of her 8 reports was added back. This reports runs successfully - the only thing different about it is that the MDX statement itself is quite long as it includes a list of individual products on the report rows (over 900 products).

    Any chance that a particularly long MDX query (over 77,000 characters) would possibly cause an issue with My Views?

    To be certain that this report was the issue I deleted all of my own My View reports and added the users My Views reports one by one. I also hit an issue when added the report with the list of ~900 products - when I tried to save this report to my own My Views, ProClarity Professional hung displaying the "Saving to My Views..." message and I had to kill the application.

    Regards,
    Katherine

     

    Monday, March 22, 2010 12:55 PM
  • Hi Sean

    Any update on this issue? Did the other customer you were working with manage to resolve the problem?

    I'd appreciate any further input..

    Thanks,
    Katherine

    Friday, April 16, 2010 3:35 PM
  • Hi Katherine,

    Thanks for your response and for the follow-up.  The recent case I worked on, which was very similar to your issue, appears to have been a result of non-working views in the MyViews collection.  The only workaround has been to remove the broken views and republish the myviews collection.  The workaround was definitely laborious.  I ran queries against the myviews collection of affected users in the ProClarity repository - none of the individual myviews views had over 77,000 characters in the MDX statements.  The method I used to count the characters was the DATALENGTH function against the XMLData column in the bookelements table filtered by the favoritesID.  There also has not been a successful in-house repro of this yet so the root cause has yet to be identified.  If you'd like to work further on this one option would be to open a support case.  I will post back to this thread if and when I have more information on a root cause.  Thank you again for your help.

    Best Regards,

    Sean


    Microsoft ProClarity | This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Friday, April 23, 2010 8:09 PM