none
403 error when accessing the Time Reporting Periods page in PWA RRS feed

• Question

• I installed a test/demo EPM environment on a Hyper-V VM. Both SQL Server and SharePoint are installed on the same VM.

The installation is successful (I can access PWA, Project Center, ...), but when I try to open the Time Reporting Periods page under Server Settings in PWA, I receive the following 403 error:

A runtime exception was detected. Details follow.
    Message: Access to the path 'C:\inetpub\wwwroot\bin' is denied.

I'm accessing the PWA using IE8 directly on the server.
    The User account shown in the event viewer is the User with which I'm logged in to PWA (he is a local admin btw).

Why do the individual users need to have access to the folder c:\inetpub\wwwroot\bin? Shouldn't the app pool accounts only access this folder (they have read access through the WSS_WPG group)?

When I grant read access to 'Authenticated Users' on this folder, everything works as expected. But this isn't part of the normal installation scenario.

Did I miss something during installation/configuration? Has anyone else had the same problem? Is it normal that PWA users access this folder directly and that I have to grant them access?

Thank you!

Tuesday, September 7, 2010 9:18 AM

Answers

• 1) All application pool accounts are valid and active

2) No, I get the error when I try to access the Time Periods page

3) Yes, in fact the user which I'm using is administrator and Team Member in Project Server and local admin on the server

What seems strange to me, is that it is the actual user that is trying to access the folder... not the application pool account.

Any help is appreciated.

Tuesday, September 7, 2010 1:29 PM

All replies

• Hello HansH.

Yes, you missed something ... somewhere ... sometime during the installation.  If you are getting access denied, this isn't normal. 

1) Check to make sure your logon account for the app pool is valid and not locked out.

2) Did you set up time periods?

3) Are the users given the roles Team Members.

Cheers!

Michael Wharton, MBA, PMP, MCT

Sincerely, Michael Wharton, MBA, PMP, MCT, MCSD, MCSE+I, MCDBA www.WhartonComputer.com
    Tuesday, September 7, 2010 12:18 PM
  • 1) All application pool accounts are valid and active

2) No, I get the error when I try to access the Time Periods page

3) Yes, in fact the user which I'm using is administrator and Team Member in Project Server and local admin on the server

What seems strange to me, is that it is the actual user that is trying to access the folder... not the application pool account.

Any help is appreciated.

Tuesday, September 7, 2010 1:29 PM