none
Hyper-V Virtual Machines Fail to Start and Initialize after Windows 10 Upgrade from Windows 8.1 RRS feed

  • Question

  • My Windows 8.1 Hyper-V virtual machines worked fine. I just upgraded to Windows 10 (with the CPU virtualization  turned off) and after turning virtualization back on when I attempted to start the machines (after enabling the hypervisor) I get errors hypervisor errors and "'(machine name)' failed to start." and "'(machine name)' could not initialize." errors. The same thing happened when I createed a new virtual machine (which created successfully) and then start it.

    Initial event log errors for the Hypervisor errors have been solved.  I was able to eliminate the Hypervisor issues by changing the boot configuration data store file for the "hypervisorlaunchtype" to "Auto" from "Off."  Now when attempting to start a new Virtual Machine in Hyper-V Manager and start it I only get the event ID 3040 errors that the VM could not initialize and the event ID 15130 errors that the VM failed to start.  All other event log entries look normal.  Again, these error occur both with virtual machines that ran fine under Windows 8.1 and new ones created after the upgrade to Windows 10.

    Does anyone have any ideas?  I suspect permission errors but am at a loss on how to correct this problem. 

    (I am not sure if this is in the correct forum or not, but the drops downs for creating a question seemed to be the most applicable.)

    Friday, August 7, 2015 1:08 PM

All replies

  • I have the same problem with event 3040 and a message saying that the VM could not intialize and start.

    I added Hyper-V after the upgrade from Windows 8.1 to use that instead of VirtualBox which I had been using before and which broke after the upgrade to Windows 10.

    I have tried reinstalling Hyper-V but nothing helps.
    Monday, August 31, 2015 3:51 PM
  • Just found a solution!

    Others had pointed me towards a possible problem with the members in the local Administrators group and it turns out that the fact that I had "Authenticated Users" in that group caused the problem.

    Guess that some of the other users they mentioned shouldn't be a member of the Administrators group are implicit members when the "Authenticated Users" group is a member of Administrators.

    So a:

    NET LOCALGROUP Administrators "Authenticated Users" /Delete

    and a reboot solved the problem for me.

    Monday, August 31, 2015 4:12 PM