none
Backing up DPM 2010 to another DPM 2010 server RRS feed

• Question

• How would i go about doing this? i can't seem to find the option. It's not in the same place as it was in DPM 2007 and i really need this option!

Thanks.

Tony L

Tony Lara
    Tuesday, June 29, 2010 8:57 PM

Answers

• Hi,

We have simplified the secondary protection method in DPM 2010.  You just need to install the agent from Secondary DPM server to Primary, just like in DPM 2007, then you are done. Now you can create a PG and expand out the sources on the Primary DPM server and look under the Protected Servers tree for data sources to add to secondary protection.  FYI - Secondary protection for Exchange 2010 DAG is not available at this time, something we are looking into changing.

New Options in DPM 2010 Include Cyclic and Chaining.

Cyclic protection Where DPM1 and DPM2 protect each other.

DPM1 <---> DPM2

Chaining - where Dpm2 acts as secondary to DPM1, and DPM3 acts as secondary to DPM2.

DPM1 <---- DPM2 <--- DPM3

We still do not protect any more than two levels meaning that we still only have a primary, secondary relationship between any 2 given DPM servers.

Regards, Mike J [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Tuesday, June 29, 2010 10:47 PM

All replies

• Hi,

We have simplified the secondary protection method in DPM 2010.  You just need to install the agent from Secondary DPM server to Primary, just like in DPM 2007, then you are done. Now you can create a PG and expand out the sources on the Primary DPM server and look under the Protected Servers tree for data sources to add to secondary protection.  FYI - Secondary protection for Exchange 2010 DAG is not available at this time, something we are looking into changing.

New Options in DPM 2010 Include Cyclic and Chaining.

Cyclic protection Where DPM1 and DPM2 protect each other.

DPM1 <---> DPM2

Chaining - where Dpm2 acts as secondary to DPM1, and DPM3 acts as secondary to DPM2.

DPM1 <---- DPM2 <--- DPM3

We still do not protect any more than two levels meaning that we still only have a primary, secondary relationship between any 2 given DPM servers.

Regards, Mike J [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Tuesday, June 29, 2010 10:47 PM
  • I want them to backup each other, like i had in DPM 2007.

i have tried installing both agents i see c:\Program Files\Microsoft DPM\DPM\ProtectionAgents\AC\3.0.7696.0\amd64 and c:\Program Files\Microsoft DPM\DPM\ProtectionAgents\RA\3.0.7696.0\amd64

I have tried installing both and when i try to select the DPM 2010 server as the protection group it gives me an access denied error message.

Details

Acess denied on the primary DPM server SERVERNAME. (ID: 32671)

Recommended action

1) Make sure that SERVERNAME is not protected by another DPM server.

2) Reinstall agent on SERVERNAME using Install Agent wizard.

I had the agent installed. So i removed it and reinstalled the Agent and that worked. I can now connect to the protected servers i need to.

I am getting another error on the secondary servers i am protecting. Agent incompatible

i am trying to backup a few file servers and a SQL server and next to all of the folders and SQL databases i see Agent incompatible. But both servers are running the same version of DPM 2010 and all agents have the same agent version. so i don't know what it means lol

Tony Lara
    Wednesday, June 30, 2010 11:10 AM
  • Hey,

When you use the cyclic protection as explained by Mike J, you need to do the following:

Let's say that your servers are A and B.

Install an agent from A onto server B, so that you can protect server B with server A.

Install an agent from B onto server A, so that you can protect server A with server B.

Cheers,

Mike Resseler

Visit System Center User Group Belgium @ http://scug.be and http://scug.be/blogs/scdpm
    Wednesday, June 30, 2010 11:48 AM
  • I'm running into an issue with DPM 2010 with regards to setting up cyclic protection between DPM1 and DPM2. Specifically, DPM2 can see the protected servers on DPM1 however DPM1 does not show any protected servers which DPM2 is the primary for. I've tried uninstalling then reinstalling the agents and can connect to DPM2 from DPM1 and see the entries for "all shares", "all SQL Servers", "All Volumes" and "System Protection" but don't even see "Protected Servers" listed. If I attach DPM2 to a test box called DPM3, I do see "protected servers" on DPM2. The goal is to have DPM1 in one office protect servers A, B and C while DPM2 in another office is protecting servers D, E and F with the two DPM servers backing each other up for DR. Let me know what I should try. Thanks.

Wednesday, October 6, 2010 2:58 PM
  • Hi,

Make sure the DPM Writer service is enabled and running on the DPM2 server.

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Thursday, October 7, 2010 3:09 AM
  • The service is running on DPM2 and I tried restarting it too. When I uninstall the agent for DPM2 from DPM1 then install the agent from DPM3, I am able to see the "Protected Servers" for DPM2 from DPM3. However, when I uninstalled the agent for DPM2 from DPM 3 then install the agent from DPM1, I don't see "Protected Servers" listed under DPM2. I do see all the other entries for DPM2 such as all volumes and all SQL servers.
    Thursday, October 7, 2010 2:55 PM