none
Actual Finish Date: How the Actual Finish Date gets populated in Project Server 2010 in Single Entry Mode? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

We are using Project Server 2010, SP1. We have enabled 'Single Entry Mode' and also Actuals are always from Timesheets (Task Settings and Display > Protect User Updates > <label for="ctl00_ctl00_PlaceHolderMain_PWA_PlaceHolderMain_idFormSectionProtectUserUpdates_ctl01_cbRestrictUpdates">Only allow task updates via Tasks and Timesheets is checked). In this situation, how to update the Actual Finish on the Task? </label>

<label for="ctl00_ctl00_PlaceHolderMain_PWA_PlaceHolderMain_idFormSectionProtectUserUpdates_ctl01_cbRestrictUpdates">Issue: When we try to update the Actual Finish from Project Pro, it says, we cannot do it as the actuals should only come from Timesheets.</label>

<label for="ctl00_ctl00_PlaceHolderMain_PWA_PlaceHolderMain_idFormSectionProtectUserUpdates_ctl01_cbRestrictUpdates">Any ideas on how to update tasks to 100%.</label>

<label for="ctl00_ctl00_PlaceHolderMain_PWA_PlaceHolderMain_idFormSectionProtectUserUpdates_ctl01_cbRestrictUpdates">Regards,</label>

<label for="ctl00_ctl00_PlaceHolderMain_PWA_PlaceHolderMain_idFormSectionProtectUserUpdates_ctl01_cbRestrictUpdates">Kishore Dodda</label>

Kishore Dodda

Thursday, June 14, 2012 8:49 PM

Answers

• Kishore,

Basically, Actual Finish is only set when the work = 100% complete so either you log enough hours to consume what was planned or you change remaining work to zero. Remaining work can be added to the Timesheet view to enable this.

--Treb

• Marked as answer by KishoreDodda Saturday, June 16, 2012 1:53 AM
    Friday, June 15, 2012 11:44 PM

All replies

• Hi Kishore,

It sounds like you have protected actuals on. Go to Task Settings in Server Settings and see if you have <label for="ctl00_ctl00_PlaceHolderMain_PWA_PlaceHolderMain_idFormSectionProtectUserUpdates_ctl01_cbRestrictUpdates">Only allow task updates via Tasks and Timesheets checked.</label>

--Treb<label for="ctl00_ctl00_PlaceHolderMain_PWA_PlaceHolderMain_idFormSectionProtectUserUpdates_ctl01_cbRestrictUpdates"></label>

Thursday, June 14, 2012 9:03 PM
  • Yes Treb. We did check that option in our environment, and we want to use that option so that PMs will not change the actuals directly.

So, in this scenario, I just found one scenario where the Actual Finish was automatically added by Project Server...

1 - Created a Task, Auto Scheduled, Fixed Duration, 1 day, 1 Resource, 100%, 8 Hrs

2 - Published

3 - Timesheet Entered 8 Hrs  >> Approved

- In the above scenario, Actual Finish date was set.

I did not find any other scenario where it updates the Actual Finish. Please suggest.

Thank you Treb.

Kishore Dodda

Thursday, June 14, 2012 9:34 PM
  • Kishore,

Basically, Actual Finish is only set when the work = 100% complete so either you log enough hours to consume what was planned or you change remaining work to zero. Remaining work can be added to the Timesheet view to enable this.

--Treb

• Marked as answer by KishoreDodda Saturday, June 16, 2012 1:53 AM
    Friday, June 15, 2012 11:44 PM
  • Treb,

Thank you for your reply... this afternoon we tried exactly same, we created all 5 types of Tasks.

1) Fix Dur

2) Fix Units

3) Fix Work

4) Fix Dur, Eff Driven

5) Fix Units, Eff Driven

and did exactly same and was able to see the Actual Finish was updated. Thank you Very much, I can now take this as a final solution as I hear the same answer from experts...

One following question is: If some team member updates Remaining Work = 0, and then later (s)he realizes that there is actually some issues pending, so, how to book more time to the same task? (Please note, our environment, we protect user updates and PMs cannot alter progressed tasks). Any ideas? I havent tested this scenario yet in my environment, but, if I can get some pointers, that will help test it in our environment.

Once again, Thank you Treb. Have a great weekend!

Regards,

Kishore Dodda

Kishore Dodda

Saturday, June 16, 2012 1:58 AM
  • Kishore,

The PM can't update actuals but they can increase the amount of work scheduled for that TM's task. This work increase will create remaining work, making the Task reappear on the TM timesheet. The TM can now log their time.

There's also a way for the TM to do this but it requires more steps. As the PM will likely want to know about this, try this first technique.

--Treb

Monday, June 18, 2012 7:18 AM