none
Internet Restrictions RRS feed

• Question

•  

I enabled Prevent Internet access (except Web sites listed below) and have *.companywebsite.com is the only one I have listed. I log into the restricted account and I can go to google.com, cnn.com, microsoft.com, etc. I read all over the post and checked Tools--> Internet Options-->Connections-->LAN Settings...--> and I've got Proxy server selected with my company proxy server in there. I got the Use the same proxy server for all protocols selected. I've got my *.companywebsite.com is the only one in the Exceptions. What am I missing? All I want is for users only to be able to go to the company website. Any and all help would be appreciated.

Thanks in Advance
    Wednesday, August 13, 2008 9:42 PM

Answers

• Please understand that SteadyState is designed for environment without proxy server. From your description, it seems your network already has a proxy server configured. The proxy server filters some websites. However, the Internet is still accessible without the proxy server, thus the proxy server filter can be bypassed. Thus, Windows SteadyState is not able to limit local accounts from accessing the Internet.

For domain users, we can apply the “Proxy Settings” group policy to set the correct proxy server so that internet access is allowed for defined sites. As this policy will only apply to domain users, it will not affect local user’s settings.

Another thread related that you may have interest:

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsToolsandUtilities/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2269472&SiteID=69

Friday, August 15, 2008 3:15 AM