none
Tasks with Actuals do not intent in MS Project Professional 2007 SP2 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I think I've seen this issue I am having some time ago but I am not 100% sure, and so I am wondering what fix (if any) there is for the following issue that I am having with MS Project Professional 2007 (SP2) [yes, using project files stored on P-Server].

I can not indent tasks with actuals.  Ie., If I try to create a new task above a task that has some actuals in it and then I try to make the new task summary task by indenting the task below it that contains actuals, the task with actuals does not indent.

Anyone seen this problem or know the KB article associated to it? 

\Spiro Theopoulos PMP, MCITP. Montreal, QC (Canada)
    Thursday, April 28, 2011 12:27 AM

Answers

• Spiro,

Could it be that your master file is corrupt? I set up a test file as you describe and inserted it into a master. I am able to add a new line and make it a summary either in the master or in the individual file. What happens if you create a new blank master and insert the file with actuals? If it works with the new master, then I suggest you first unlink all your subprojects from the master (be sure to save each subproject one the links are broken). Then delete the old master and rebuild a new one.

If you see the same issue with a new master, try creating a simple test file, give it some actuals and go through the process in a new master. Does everything work properly in that configuration?

You mentioned that the files are stored in Project Server. What if you create a local test file and master. Does the problem still occur? If it does not, then I would suspect something is fishy with your server configuration and you will probably need to post to the server forum to help get resolution.

Troubleshooting this type of issue is of course a matter of isolating the simplest configuration that still illustrates the problem. Once that is done, it becomes a lot easier to find a solution. So far neither Rod nor I can replicate your issue. We need more information or perhaps a sample test file (with the problem) that we can look at.

John

Friday, May 6, 2011 2:38 AM

All replies

• I can't reproduce that problem. Can you provide instructions to do so in a new project?

Rod Gill

The one and only Project VBA Book Rod Gill Project Management
    Thursday, April 28, 2011 3:00 AM
  • it would seem that my problem occurs with tasks that are in a project that is inserted in a master project.  When trying to indent them in directly in the project file I have no problem.  I experience the problem described above when I try it from the master project.

\Spiro Theopoulos PMP, MCITP. Montreal, QC (Canada)
    Friday, May 6, 2011 12:42 AM
  • Spiro,

Could it be that your master file is corrupt? I set up a test file as you describe and inserted it into a master. I am able to add a new line and make it a summary either in the master or in the individual file. What happens if you create a new blank master and insert the file with actuals? If it works with the new master, then I suggest you first unlink all your subprojects from the master (be sure to save each subproject one the links are broken). Then delete the old master and rebuild a new one.

If you see the same issue with a new master, try creating a simple test file, give it some actuals and go through the process in a new master. Does everything work properly in that configuration?

You mentioned that the files are stored in Project Server. What if you create a local test file and master. Does the problem still occur? If it does not, then I would suspect something is fishy with your server configuration and you will probably need to post to the server forum to help get resolution.

Troubleshooting this type of issue is of course a matter of isolating the simplest configuration that still illustrates the problem. Once that is done, it becomes a lot easier to find a solution. So far neither Rod nor I can replicate your issue. We need more information or perhaps a sample test file (with the problem) that we can look at.

John

Friday, May 6, 2011 2:38 AM