rapid upgrade after deployment - problem RRS feed

• Question

• I have WSUS server installed on December 2016 on Windows 2012R2 (I assume that it has all nessesary updates for 1607).  I have 5 client that was deployed using WDS. My gold image has build 10586 on it. I have trouble to upgrade my clients to 1607 build.

Part of my computers downloaded and installed 1607 update, some of them not. If I deploy new VM and manually check and them download updates, next let it;s install and reboot manually everything seems to be OK.

If I created another VM but I didn't touch it for few days it, doesn't download and install 1607 update.

I have AD with two controllers (windows 2008R2). My GPO policy for WSUS looks like

WSUS policy

Should I did something (update) on my AD controller to support Win10?

How to install 1607 update manually on my workstations?

I downloaded windows10.0-kb3213986-x64_a1f5adacc28b56d7728c92e318d6596d9072aec4.msu but I get error:

"This update does not apply to this computer" why? Should I stop update service before I started this update?

I tried to use file  KB 3216755 from LINK also without success. Why?

KB 3216755 is latest cumulative  build for 1607 and I assume that it has core 1607 files too - Do I'm wrong?

Help me please

With regards

Slawek

Monday, March 13, 2017 5:24 PM

All replies

• Hi Slawek Owoc,

Please check if you meet the following conditions to upgrade win10 10586 to win10 1607:

1. On the WSUS server, please ensure KB3095113 and KB3159706(with manual steps) are installed before syncing and downloading the upgrade files to WSUS server;

2. Ensure the upgrade files are downloaded successfully if you store update files locally;

3. Ensure .esd MIME type is added to WSUS IIS site;

4. Check if win10 clients report to the WSUS server and report as needing the upgrade;

5. Check update on the client side, check if the clients could detect and download the upgrade.

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, March 14, 2017 9:06 AM
  • Hello Anne

I veryfied "1", "2" and "3"

"4" My client reports properly do WSUS server

"5" I can download and install by hand updates - thats working perfectly. I have problem with autoamatic install (1607 is downloaded and after it's try to install (I guess) something is going wrong and I see on WSUS server install status failed.

Please help me

Regards

Slawek

Tuesday, March 14, 2017 1:03 PM
  • Hello

Some news:Yesterday I created VM and I let it working. Today at 14:09 I took screensoot from WSUS console:

and after 17:00 something changed, and at 19:05 we can see:

and if we check report "updates needed" we can see:

I'd expect that this VM after instalation should reboot automatically according to WSUS policy that should happend at 17:00 - why it doesnt?

Regards

SLawek

Tuesday, March 14, 2017 6:09 PM
  • Hi Slawek Owoc,

>I'd expect that this VM after instalation should reboot automatically according to WSUS policy that should happend at 17:00 - why it doesn't?

Have the machined restarted now, if everything works well after restart?

If the machine doesn't restart at scheduled time, please check if you enable "No auto-reboot when logon users".

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, March 20, 2017 6:21 AM
  • Hello Anne

Unfortunetelly my test computers still doesn't reboot at expected time.

I refreshed again my test computer (phisical computer not VM) and after 26h there was more that 216 updates needed and one failed to install (1607) so I restarted this computer manually. Today I see:

Computers downloaded updates and are ready to install them - I don't understand why the arent installed. Second problem - there is no option to shut down or restart with install update - why?

I created central store, uploaded latest adm files and created new GPO atached to isolated OU with my test computers. In my opinion that should help me.

I found information about Maintenance Scheduler so I enabled "Automatic Maintenance wake up policy." and "Automatic Maintenance activation boundary." with "2000-01-01T19:00:00" but also after 19:00 nothing happend.

My policy looks like:

User setting is not configured.

Computer settings:

Mostly I relay on link

Regards

Slawek

Wednesday, March 22, 2017 10:02 AM
  • Hello

I created another test VM, its up 49h and none is logged in.

In System log I see attempt 2017-03-24 11:53 to install update 1607 which failed (error 0x8024200D).

why it's started on 11:53 according to my knowledge "Automatic Maintenance activation boundary" should overwrite scheduled install time from "Configure automatic update" with option 4 active.

Even so - installation should start after 12:00 not earlier...

What I'm doing wrong ? Could someone point me to working GPO WSUS policy for Windows 10?

Regards

Slawek

Monday, March 27, 2017 10:40 AM