restricted access RRS feed

• Question

• I apologize in advance if this is a completely newbie question. 

I want to set up a portion of our company's general site, which links to a login-restricted SP site.  Based on the login of a user, I want them to be able to see different folders and/or files within those folders.  I am not talking about seeing as in they can click into them, I mean even knowing they exist.  In other words, if Bob and Jeff log in, I may want both Bob and Jeff to see folder ABC, but once they get in there, I only want them to see files BobPrivate and JeffPrivate, respectively, and not know the other file exists.  Also might be the same at the folder level, but it's not as important then (meaning I am probably fine having one of them click onto a folder and see a "you don't have access to this folder" type of message).

I've gotten mixed responses on whether I can or cannot do this (with one answer saying I'd have to create subdomains for each user in order to accomplish this).  If anyone can help clarify (noting which version(s) of SP may or may not allow for this), I'd be grateful.  I'm evaluating hosting providers, and unfortunately their knowledge of the product functionality is limited.  As a final comment, if it does have to be the case that I have to have subdomains per user, let me know if there's then an easy way to update the files that are general (meaning that everyone will have access to) one time, and have all subdomains populate...or whether I'll each time have to update each of the files in each subdomain.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Monday, October 10, 2011 8:20 PM

Answers

• Hi,

You can use MOSS 2007 and SPS 2010. 

You can define permissions at any level. 

Hence you can provide permissions at the top level, folder level or the file level as well.

I hope this will help you out

Thanks, Rahul Rashu
    Tuesday, October 11, 2011 3:48 AM
  • Rahul, thanks kindly.  Just to be clear (bc this is literally the deciding factor as to what we'll use as a solution), the permission possibilities allow me to restrict visibility of the existence of certain things (folder, file within a folder, etc.), not just the ability to click INTO those things (see contents of folder/see the file).  Correct?

Since I'm asking, one more question...am I right that it's a standard feature in either of those you listed, that I can set it up in a way to where I can see what every logged person does (i.e., where they click, when, what they look at, etc.)?  Just curious, as this is also something we'd really like to have, and I believe I've understood so far that this is something SP allows. 

Thanks again.

Thursday, October 13, 2011 2:19 AM

All replies

• Hi,

You can use MOSS 2007 and SPS 2010. 

You can define permissions at any level. 

Hence you can provide permissions at the top level, folder level or the file level as well.

I hope this will help you out

Thanks, Rahul Rashu
    Tuesday, October 11, 2011 3:48 AM
  • Rahul, thanks kindly.  Just to be clear (bc this is literally the deciding factor as to what we'll use as a solution), the permission possibilities allow me to restrict visibility of the existence of certain things (folder, file within a folder, etc.), not just the ability to click INTO those things (see contents of folder/see the file).  Correct?

Since I'm asking, one more question...am I right that it's a standard feature in either of those you listed, that I can set it up in a way to where I can see what every logged person does (i.e., where they click, when, what they look at, etc.)?  Just curious, as this is also something we'd really like to have, and I believe I've understood so far that this is something SP allows. 

Thanks again.

Thursday, October 13, 2011 2:19 AM
  • Yes it is correct.
    Thanks, Rahul Rashu
    Thursday, October 13, 2011 4:22 AM