none
Transferring files from Windows 7 mode to Virtual PC Windows XP mode

Question

• I have my business software on the virtual PC XP mode becasue it will not run on Windows 7.

I make Journal Notes .jnt files with my tablet PC in Windows 7 mode.

I can't figure out how to get those files into my software in XP mode.

Do the two portions communicate, or do they act as completely separate computers?

Is ther a way to import into XP from Windows 7?

Or as another option...

Can I download Windows Journal onto XP? I can't seem to find a download online- does anyone know where I might find it and if it will run in XP mode?

Can I download Microsoft Office onto the XP portion using the same product key I used to get it on Windows 7?

Thanks to anyone who can help me!
    Sunday, March 7, 2010 10:03 PM

Answers

• In Windows Explorer in the XP Mode virtual machine, under My Computer, you should see:

3 1/2 Floppy (A:)
    Local Disk (C:)
    DVD Drive (D:)
    C on YourMachineName

Do you not see C on YourMachineName? It should appear and have the files that are on your physical machine's C drive.

In the Settings for your XP Mode virtual machine, change the Networking setting from Shared Networking (NAT) to the entry for your physical network adapter. This makes your virtual machine just like any other machine on your network. The same rules of networking and file sharing apply to virtual machines as physical machines. You can map a drive or create a share.
    Monday, March 8, 2010 4:00 AM

All replies

• What I do is while in Windows 7, select copy, then paste into a folder in XP (XP mode)

Sunday, March 7, 2010 11:08 PM
  • Look at the top of the XP Mode virtual machine's window.

1. On the menu bar is a Tools menu. Select it and you will see a menu. Select Settings... to open the Settings dialog box.

2. In the Settings dialog box, select the Integration Features box.

3. On the right side of the Settings dialog box, look at the checkboxes underneath Share devices and resources. The last category of devices that can be shared between the XP mode virtual machine and the Windows 7 physical machine is Drives.

4. If the drive on the Windows 7 virtual machine that you want to copy to and from is not checked, you need to check it.

When the Integration Features configuration is set to share drives, use Windows Explorer in the XP Mode virtual machine to do your file copies. This feature is for doing exactly what you want to do.

You might run into a product activation problem trying to install Microsoft Office a second time.

Sunday, March 7, 2010 11:52 PM
  • Thank you for the advice.
    I verified that the settings as outlined above are correct. All boxes are checked.
    If I seek out something that is stored on the C drive in Windows 7, I cannot find it in the C drive option in XP, even though XP appears to have a separate drive area.
    I have tried copying and pasting, but it does not work. Nothing pastes.
    And you are right. I cannot load Microsoft Office onto both areas.
    Is it possible to connect the two "computers" as if they are on a network in my house?
    Any other thoughts?
    Thanks
    Monday, March 8, 2010 3:12 AM
  • In Windows Explorer in the XP Mode virtual machine, under My Computer, you should see:

C on YourMachineName

Do you not see C on YourMachineName? It should appear and have the files that are on your physical machine's C drive.

In the Settings for your XP Mode virtual machine, change the Networking setting from Shared Networking (NAT) to the entry for your physical network adapter. This makes your virtual machine just like any other machine on your network. The same rules of networking and file sharing apply to virtual machines as physical machines. You can map a drive or create a share.
    Monday, March 8, 2010 4:00 AM
  • Thank you- that seems to have solved the problem. I appreciate it.
    Monday, March 8, 2010 4:15 AM
  • you can also copy your files in Windows XP mode to \\tsclient and all your Window 7/Vista host drives are mapped to it, such as \\tsclient\C and \\tsclient\D.
    Friday, May 6, 2011 3:02 AM
  • thank you for advice. what i really needed to move those was a flash drive, which i got, and it worked just fine. they talk about using these easy transfer cables. if you dont want your new computer to look exactly the same as the old one, or your using the xp mode, get a flash drive, and one large enough to move large files.
    Tuesday, March 6, 2012 12:06 PM
  • That works as long as both Win7 and XP Mode files are 32 bit, file sharing can occur.  But My Win7 is 64 bit and XP Mode is 32 bit, so file sharing cannot occur from Win7 to XP Mode because of the difference in word length.  So, I cannot paste a Win7 Powerpoint, Word, Excel or e-mail file into XP Mode, for example.
    Wednesday, May 30, 2012 1:06 PM
  • There's no reason a 64-bit Windows cannot use a network share with a
    32-bit Windows machine.  If you are having a problem, it's not because
    of that.  I share files between my XP Mode VM and the host Windows
    64-bit Pro all the time.

You might have a 64-bit Office vs. 32-bit Office problem, but that's
    usually only if you have specific addins or have VBA macros.

Bob Comer - Microsoft MVP Virtual Machine
    Wednesday, May 30, 2012 1:14 PM
  • I should clarify my previous response.  You CAN copy files from Win7 applications (such as Powerpoint, Word, Excel, etc.) to XP Mode, but you cannot open those docs in XP Mode because they are incompatible with XP's 32-bit application programs.  For example, Win7 Powerpoint generates files with the extension ".pptx" while the 32-bit XP Mode can only open ".ppt" files.
    Wednesday, May 30, 2012 2:03 PM
  • Still not quite right, it depends on the office version installed in
    XP Mode. (if office is installed at all)  If you have Office 2007 or
    2010 installed in XP Mode, it can open .pptx files.

Bob Comer - Microsoft MVP Virtual Machine
    Wednesday, May 30, 2012 2:25 PM
  • I have a somewhat similar problem, but different as well.

I followed the advice's given in this post.

I have my old XP (OXP) pc -and- a brand new Acer with:

Windows 7 Pro 64-bit SP1, 256GB SSD, 1-TB HDD.

Both pc's are on my network.

I set up virtual XP (VXP) in the Acer.  In the Settings for the

XP Mode virtual machine, I changed the Networking 

setting from Shared Networking (NAT) to the entry

for my physical network adapter: 

"Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller"

In my VXP, under My Computer, I can see:
    C on (MyMachineName)

I need to copy 55GB of files from the OXP into the VXP.  

I have successfully copied files from the OXP into a folder on the C-drive of the Acer.

Then I started the VXP in the Acer, and opened two (2) Windows Explorer (WE) sessions in the VXP.

In one WE window (WE1) I drill down:

My Network Places > Entire Network > Microsoft Windows Network > Workgroup > (My PC name) > (the folder with the items I want to copy into the VXP)

In the other WE window (WE2) I drill down:

My Computer > Local Disk (C:) > (an empty folder to receive the copied files from the Acer)

I go back to WE1, select what I want to copy, but as soon as I right-click and try to copy ... the VXP goes into reboot !!

HALP !!!

Wednesday, June 25, 2014 6:05 PM
  • Have you tried disabling your antivirus and firewall software before trying
    the copy?

Bob Comer
    Wednesday, June 25, 2014 6:24 PM
  • Yes.
    Thursday, June 26, 2014 3:01 PM
  • On both the host and the guest?  Firewall software is usually the culprit
    in things like this.

Bob Comer
    Thursday, June 26, 2014 3:31 PM