restrictions and quick launch RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to add the desktop icon to the quick launch bar. I've got all restrictions off, the account is unlocked and Windows Hard Disk Protection is Off and yet when I try to make the change I get the error message that tells me the administrator has chosen not to allow this change.

I AM the administrator and everything is off. What am I missing?

I've completely shut down and restarted the computer and nothing is helping.

Saturday, August 18, 2007 2:51 AM

Answers

•  

Hi Grandview,

Would you please let me know the exact error message when the issue occurs? Do you refer to the Show Desktop icon or shortcuts for other programs?

If the user account has been locked before, Quick Launch icons are stored in the following folder. Please check if the icons you required can be copied to this folder.

C:\Documents and Settings\<user name>.orig\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch

As the Application Data folder is hidden by default, you may need to show the hidden files with the following steps:

--------------------

1. Click Start, then click Control Panel, and then click Folder Options.

2. Click the View tab. Under Hidden files and folders, click "Show hidden files and folders."

3. Click the "Hide extensions for known file type".

4. Click OK.

If you refer to the Show Desktop icon, we can copy it from another user account’s Quick Launch folder. You can also refer to the following article to create a new one:

How to re-create the Show Desktop icon on the Quick Launch toolbar

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/190355

Best Regards,

Monday, August 20, 2007 9:06 AM

All replies

•  

Hi Grandview,

Would you please let me know the exact error message when the issue occurs? Do you refer to the Show Desktop icon or shortcuts for other programs?

If the user account has been locked before, Quick Launch icons are stored in the following folder. Please check if the icons you required can be copied to this folder.

C:\Documents and Settings\<user name>.orig\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch

As the Application Data folder is hidden by default, you may need to show the hidden files with the following steps:

--------------------

1. Click Start, then click Control Panel, and then click Folder Options.

2. Click the View tab. Under Hidden files and folders, click "Show hidden files and folders."

3. Click the "Hide extensions for known file type".

4. Click OK.

If you refer to the Show Desktop icon, we can copy it from another user account’s Quick Launch folder. You can also refer to the following article to create a new one:

How to re-create the Show Desktop icon on the Quick Launch toolbar

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/190355

Best Regards,

Monday, August 20, 2007 9:06 AM
  • The error message is this:

This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on the computer. Please contact system administrator.

I had done all you suggested so I copied the show desktop icon to the Quick Launch folder while in the admin account. It still wasn't showing when I logged into the other account but then I noticed I didn't have the Quick Launch tool bar selected to show. Once done, I was able to move the icon to the Quick Launch bar.

Thanks for your help,

Ruth in Grandview

Tuesday, August 21, 2007 8:25 PM
  • I am glad to hear that the problem has been resolved. I appreciate your time and I hope you will continue to enjoy using our products.

Best Regards,

Wednesday, August 22, 2007 9:42 AM
  • Hi Shawn
    I have the following problem:
    When I click on the tool bar on internet explorer and then click on Internet Options this message comes up: This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please contact your system Administrator.

We don't remember putting a restriction on the comptuter could it be that it did that by itself?

Also all the sounds on the computer work except when we try to play an online game then we cannot hear the sounds.
    Does that have to do with the internet explorer restriciton?

How does this problem get fixed?
    We already used the tip you gave to another user up there on restrictions and I went into files but I clicked on restore defaults once and then I used what you had said to show the hidden files but that don't work in this case.

I don't know exactly how to do that other thing you mentioned on the file c:/DocumentsandSettings/<username>...... etc.
    How is that done?

If you know how to fix this please let us know.
    Thank you.

Love in Jesus, Marina.
    Monday, April 6, 2009 7:04 PM