none
PS2013 Task Modified By or Modification Action RRS feed

• Question

• Using the ProjectServer endpoint is there a way to build a report that displays tasks that have not been modified in the last 30 days? The request is to display task information such as who last modified the task and what was the modification action (i.e. what changed).

I did some research and it looks like this is not possible w/o maybe a server-side event handler. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!

Wednesday, December 4, 2013 8:20 PM

All replies

• Hi Mawaru,

As far as I know, what is stored in the DBs is the project last modified date. Thus having the tasks' last modified dates might be impossible or difficult to obtain.

Since I'm not a developper, I'll let my colleagues answer whether or not there is a way to obtain programmably this information.

Maybe a work-around if you use timesheet would be to exploit timesheet audit data with task update approvals.

Hope this helps.

Guillaume Rouyre - MBA, MCP, MCTS

Wednesday, December 4, 2013 8:28 PM
  • You will need custom development and it may not be 100% successful. I would first try a solution based on process and training. Try:

Each week reset one of your baselines so you can see each week what has changed. Reset a second baseline after every steering / management project meeting so you can see what has changed between meetings.

When someone makes a change that affects a project priority, EG cost, time, or a deliverable, then add to the task note who did what when and why.

This won't be perfect but will probably provide 80%+ of what you need.

Rod Gill

The one and only Project VBA Book

Rod Gill Project Management

Thursday, December 5, 2013 7:43 AM
  • Hi Mawaru,

As far as I know, what is stored in the DBs is the project last modified date. Thus having the tasks' last modified dates might be impossible or difficult to obtain.

Since I'm not a developper, I'll let my colleagues answer whether or not there is a way to obtain programmably this information.

Maybe a work-around if you use timesheet would be to exploit timesheet audit data with task update approvals.

Hope this helps.

Guillaume Rouyre - MBA, MCP, MCTS

Hi Guillaume,

Yes that's correct. I verified this just by testing the ProjectServer endpoint. Basically the Modified property on a task is not helpful.

Thanks!

Friday, December 6, 2013 6:51 PM
  • Hi Rod,

Thanks for the info. My client wanted to make this visible on a schedule, making it more complicated. So my thought is to leverage a server-side event handler then store the information (modification action and date modified) in custom fields. Then display those custom fields on the schedule.

The other option would be to leverage workflows.

I haven't looked deeply into both options, but this is the current approaches I'm looking at.

Thanks,

Roland

Friday, December 6, 2013 6:54 PM