none
Red man indicator on tasks that has no over allocation - Project server 2013 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

I have a few projects on the server in which i see some tasks with the "Red man" indicator on the indicator column.

This suggests that this assignment has over allocations in the task dates.  (right?)

when i look at the resource in resource usage view or resource graph view, i see no over allocation, the percent allocation is 100%, and there is no red highlight on the data.

So there is no real over allocation but still i have the indicator shown on the Gantt chart views.

I have saved the project locally and then the wrong indicators disappear, it is only on server.

I have checked in resource center and in other projects, there are no other allocation on those dates in any other projects.

I have checked with several of users, users that i have checked on my country sees the same as i do, users from our support team in India don't see the wrong indicators.  Not sure why.

Someone is familiar with this issue?  is it a bug?

Ofir Marco , MCTS P.Z. Projects

Monday, June 15, 2015 8:37 AM

All replies

• Hi Ofir Marco,

When you log into Project Server with MSProject do you see the Load Summary Resources checkbox checked? 

If so, uncheck it and see what happens.  If you are not prompted with this dialogue box then you need to enable in the Accounts button in MSProject.

Ben Howard [MVP] | web | blog | book | P2O

Monday, June 15, 2015 8:46 AM
  • Hi Ben

When i unchecked this check box the indicators disappear.

Can you explain this behavior and why when the check box is checked it creates over allocations on the resource summary level?

here is an example of what i get:

Monday, June 15, 2015 10:26 AM
  • Hi Ofir

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Summary-assignment-field-22fe705d-debc-450e-b4eb-e9337b1468f9 

This article is for 2007, but it applies equally to all subsequent versions.  With summary resource assignments loaded, you see all summary resource assignments for all projects.  These can be viewed in either the task usage, resource usage or team planner views to name 3.

Monday, June 15, 2015 10:39 AM
  • Hi Ben,

Thanks.

I am familiar with the meaning of Summary resource assignment, i know that this checkbox allows me to see data from other projects.

The issue is that if i look at a period of task that is marked as over allocated in the summary assignment level then on the resource usage i see no work at all in the "Other projects and commitments" row, so that means that there is no allocations on this date in other projects, right?

So it should not matter if i use this option or not.

Is there somewhere else that the over allocation that is not shown in the resource usage or in PWA resource assignments views can be taken from?

Tuesday, June 16, 2015 6:42 AM
  • In the image you display above, there are two other items that I can think of which might make the assignment overallocated.

1.  The max units for the Resource TAL MEEDAM is < 100%, or the working time for TAL does not coincide with the working time on the task.  There seems to be something specific about the Tuesday and Wednesday.  As you say, if you uncheck the box then the Overallocation disappears, and so the work is coming from another project.  Can you display the Team Planner, with the timescale as days, for TAL, for those days and show me that image?

Tuesday, June 16, 2015 8:09 AM
  • You can see the below image with both team planner and resource usage screenshots for Tal Meedam.

You can see for example "Self study" task is over allocated in Tue and Wed, but no other tasks in both team planner or resource usage views although it has the red mark.

only one row in team planner, and in the "other projects.." row on resource usage there is no data in the specific dates.

his max units are 100% and in his calendar there are no non working days on the specific dates as you can see in the 2nd image.

Tuesday, June 16, 2015 9:17 AM
  • So there must be an issue in another project.  What happens if you insert the column Project in the Resource Usage view, and expand Other Projects and Commitments.  This other issue could be to do with the project calendar.  Are you using different calendars, do they finish start outside of 08:00 and 17:00?

Tuesday, June 16, 2015 9:25 AM
  • First, regarding adding project column to resource usage, this is the result:

•  there are allocations for this resources in another project that ends a week before the over allocated week.
    • On the specific weeks there are no other assignments shown

Tuesday, June 16, 2015 9:59 AM
  • Regarding the calendars:

• Both project calendar and resource calendar have the same working times:
      8:00 - 12:00 , 13:00 - 17:00
    • The Project calendar is not the standard one, it is an "empty" calendar.  all days are working days, there are no weekends or holidays, no exceptions (this is because most resources should be able to work on weekends if necessary, a task can be done on a weekend).
    • The resource calendar for this project resources have none working days on Friday and Saturday, no other exceptions on the calendar.

Can the calendars diff cause an over allocation on specific days?

Tuesday, June 16, 2015 10:07 AM
  • From the screen shots you are showing, there looks to be no reason why the resource is overallocated on the days shown, as there is no work coming from the other project. I would open the other project, with/without summary resource assignments, and review the data. If there truly is no work for this period, then it looks like data corruption/bug. What does republishing the other project do?  What does the Resource Assignments view show you in PWA?

Tuesday, June 16, 2015 10:25 AM
  • We have already published both projects a few times, when it opens together in MSP i only see one assignment on the days shown.  same for resource assignments. view in PWA.

Can't find any work on this period.

Is there a reason that it will be leftovers from a deleted file?  we always delete it by choosing to delete from Draft and published DB.

How can i tell if the file is corrupted and this is the reason or if it is a system bug that we need to check with Microsoft?

Tuesday, June 16, 2015 10:34 AM
  • No reason why it will be leftovers. What about the Assignments view in the Resource Centre?

If it's replicable then it's likely to be a bug (potentially caused by corruption).

Tuesday, June 16, 2015 10:38 AM
  • As i wrote, Assignment view in resource center also indicated that there is no over allocation, same for resource availability views.

This is very weird because we found it for a few resources in some of the projects that are on the server.  but nothing in common.

What should be the difference between a bug in the system (means that it can happen in different servers?) and bug that is caused by corruption?  

Is there a way to have any conclusion about the root cause of the bug?

Tuesday, June 16, 2015 10:42 AM
  • There is no way to have any conclusion about the root cause of your issue.

Tuesday, June 16, 2015 10:45 AM
  • Ok, thanks.  :(

Do you think that it is something that we should approach to Microsoft to?

maybe they will find a bug on their side that they can solve in the next hotfix?

Tuesday, June 16, 2015 10:49 AM
  • Hi Ofir,

Unless you can replicate it I don't think that MS will provide a fix; they don't have time generally to go hunting through databases trying to reverse engineer things...

Having said, the over allocation must be coming from somewhere, but without further time and effort, I'm failing to see it.  Personally I would need to perform a detailed review of the calendars, (project and resource) and the files.  I would also look at removing the user from tasks on the offending projects, and then reassigning them (and of course keeping any actuals and costs) etc and then reviewing the information and data again.

This all assumes you are on the latest SPs and hotfixes.

Tuesday, June 16, 2015 10:59 AM
  • I was not referring to our specific case, was wondering if maybe MS can replicate the case on their environments.

I will try your suggestions as a last resort, then maybe will try to save the file locally, delete it from server and upload it again.  hope that i woill not have to recreate this file in a new not corrupted one.  

there is still a chance that the file is not the issue but something in the DB data maybe.

I think that i have the latest version.

Tuesday, June 16, 2015 11:14 AM