SCCM2012 is broken Hardware scan RRS feed

• Question

• SCCM2012 is broken "Hardware scan." I can not get the new data from workstations.
    Maybe c\Program Files\Microsoft Configuration Manager\inboxes\clifiles.src\hinv MOF file is corrupted?
    This place is just configuration.mof. File sms_def.mof I do not.
    When I open the Administration / Client Settings / user Properties / Hardware Inventory / Set Classes ... / I get an error message:

ConfigMgr Error Object:
    instance of SMS_ExtendedStatus
    {
    Description = "CSspInventoryReport::GetRealInstance: Failed to get item from database";
    ErrorCode = 2151811598;
    File = "e:\\nts_sccm_release\\sms\\siteserver\\sdk_provider\\smsprov\\sspinventoryreport.cpp";
    Line = 627;
    Operation = "GetObject";
    ParameterInfo = "SMS_InventoryReport.InventoryReportID=\"{92325876-6da3-43df-a040-4c122a906612}\"";
    ProviderName = "ExtnProv";
    StatusCode = 2147749890;
    };

-------------------------------
    Microsoft.ConfigurationManagement.ManagementProvider.WqlQueryEngine.WqlQueryException
    The SMS Provider reported an error.

Stack Trace:
    at Microsoft.ConfigurationManagement.ManagementProvider.WqlQueryEngine.WqlConnectionManager.GetInstance(String objectPath)
    at Microsoft.ConfigurationManagement.AdminConsole.Features.Common.ViewModelBase.GetInstance(String objectPath)
    at Microsoft.ConfigurationManagement.AdminConsole.ClientAgentSettings.HardwareInventoryClassesViewModel.InitializeInventoryReport(String inventoryReportID)
    at Microsoft.ConfigurationManagement.AdminConsole.ClientAgentSettings.HardwareInventoryClassesViewModel.InitializeInventoryClasses()

System.Management.ManagementException
    Not found

Stack Trace:
    at Microsoft.ConfigurationManagement.ManagementProvider.WqlQueryEngine.WqlConnectionManager.GetInstance(String objectPath)
    at Microsoft.ConfigurationManagement.AdminConsole.Features.Common.ViewModelBase.GetInstance(String objectPath)
    at Microsoft.ConfigurationManagement.AdminConsole.ClientAgentSettings.HardwareInventoryClassesViewModel.InitializeInventoryReport(String inventoryReportID)
    at Microsoft.ConfigurationManagement.AdminConsole.ClientAgentSettings.HardwareInventoryClassesViewModel.InitializeInventoryClasses()

Agent on the computers working, with no apparent problems. WinUPdate work well. 3rd program installs.
    OS cloned well. But no real reports of programs to install add remove can not understand the situation.

Are there any ideas on how to fix it?
    Thank you.

cenubit

Thursday, October 4, 2012 7:30 AM

Answers

• This happened to me before.  Going to the Client Settings on the Administration tab, you should be able to open the policy you have assigned to your clients which are experiening the issue, click on Hardware Inventory, and click on set classes.  If this crashes (as it did with me), this means some of the classes within the policy are corrupted.  I had to delete the policy, recreate and redeploy to the desired collections.  Once I did that, the clients began running hardware inventories again.

JustinS

• Proposed as answer by _Russo_ Wednesday, November 13, 2013 10:35 PM
    • Marked as answer by Garth JonesMVP Saturday, January 24, 2015 8:40 PM
    Tuesday, October 9, 2012 3:42 PM

All replies

• Have you modified the sms_def.mof manually before?

Torsten Meringer | http://www.mssccmfaq.de

Thursday, October 4, 2012 12:28 PM
  • Can be changed, but I can not find a replacement copy. Can not anyone send the default MOF files?

cenubit

Thursday, October 4, 2012 1:30 PM
  • Note, there is no text file called "sms_def.mof" anymore.  There is only configuration.mof

That said, when you do this:  "When I open the Administration / Client Settings / user Properties / Hardware Inventory / Set Classes ... / I get an error message" monitor your InstalledLocation\Logs\dataldr.log file.  Hopefully you'll get a good message in there about what the issue is, and how to resolve it.

For example... I had something similar when I was working with a beta version of CM12:  http://myitforum.com/cs2/blogs/skissinger/archive/2011/08/03/configmgr2012beta2-hardware-inventory-set-classes-does-not-load.aspx

You may or may not have the exact same issue... but at least you'll see what I did to find the problem.

Standardize. Simplify. Automate.

Thursday, October 4, 2012 2:04 PM
  • When executing on workstations "Hardware Inventory Cycle" file

InventoryAgent.log get:

<![LOG[Error - Unknown report type: ]LOG]!><time="13:29:34.830-180" date="10-07-2012" component="InventoryAgent" context="" type="3" thread="2832" file="agentstate.cpp:2288">
    <![LOG[Inventory: (87d00224) Invalid message element (ReportType)]LOG]!><time="13:29:34.830-180" date="10-07-2012" component="InventoryAgent" context="" type="3" thread="2832" file="invcommon.cpp:190">
    <![LOG[Raising event:
    [SMS_CodePage(775), SMS_LocaleID(1062)]
    instance of CLIMSG_INV_ERROR_COLLECTIONFAILURE--

I create a new "Client Device Settings" from the "Clients setings" and deploy it to main collection, then the error can not open "Administration / New Client Settings / User Properties / Hardware Inventory / Set Classes ... /". Likely to be damaged by certain Client Settings? And if they will set up again, then the problem with the hardware inventory disappear.

cenubit

• Edited by GirtsR Sunday, October 7, 2012 11:24 AM
    Sunday, October 7, 2012 10:52 AM
  • This happened to me before.  Going to the Client Settings on the Administration tab, you should be able to open the policy you have assigned to your clients which are experiening the issue, click on Hardware Inventory, and click on set classes.  If this crashes (as it did with me), this means some of the classes within the policy are corrupted.  I had to delete the policy, recreate and redeploy to the desired collections.  Once I did that, the clients began running hardware inventories again.

JustinS

• Proposed as answer by _Russo_ Wednesday, November 13, 2013 10:35 PM
    • Marked as answer by Garth JonesMVP Saturday, January 24, 2015 8:40 PM
    Tuesday, October 9, 2012 3:42 PM
  • well this solution helps us , so many thanks for this. the question to ms, when and why this happens and how we can monitor this

because we detected the problem after getting information from our support, that some clients

did not run inventory since xxxx days. We have had a special client settings , rolled out only to a pilot group but months ago, without problems. What we have had, was a crash from one of our primary sites, and we assume this was the reason but not sure.

So i am a little bit fearful to implement new hardware settings , without the knowing when this problem occurs.

regards

Thursday, December 4, 2014 10:18 AM

JustinS

Thanks for this information.

I've just bumped into this problem and wanted to share easier fix than recreating entire policy.

All you have to do is uncheck Hardware Inventory tab from client settings, apply and close the settings window.

Next, open policy settings again and re-add Hardware Inventory tab back (check if all desired classes are selected).

Done.

• Proposed as answer by oyvindskj Thursday, May 21, 2015 9:13 AM
    Tuesday, December 9, 2014 2:45 PM
  • That isn't an option if you are using the Default Client Settings, but you can select NO on "Enable hardware inventory on clients", which would be the same thing.
    Wednesday, March 15, 2017 10:07 PM
  • Very easy, thanks for the tip.

Ricardo Martins

Monday, April 17, 2017 11:30 AM
  • Sorry for replying to such an old post, but your reply helped me resolve the same issue.

However, to resolve this, I edited the Clietn Settings and removed the checkmark for Hardware inventory and closed the client settings. I then opened client settings again and selected checkbox for Hardware settings, and close client settings again. Now, when I open Client settings and click Set Classes on Hardware Inventory, it no longer crashes, and machines are also reporting hardware inventory. There was no need for me to recreate entire policy.

Tuesday, July 9, 2019 11:29 AM