Moving folders between mapped drives RRS feed

• Question

• We have an older server (FS-Orange) that houses user profile folders as well as shared folders for the various groups within the company.  This server is running Server 2008 Enterprise sp2.  Currently, the shared folders are mapped to various drives accessible by the users.  Users access their data through terminal services.

We have installed a new server (FS-1) which will be replacing FS-Orange once I have everything transferred over.  FS-1 is running Server 2008 r2.  We have moved some files over for testing and are now ready for a full migration.  Our concern is to make this seamless to our users on the network.  We have a process  in place for migrating the user profiles however, the process is for moving small numbers as it moves one folder at a time.  I'd like to move all of the profiles at once.  We also do not have anything in place for migrating the shared folders.  I'd like to think it would be as simple as moving the folders to the new server and then just pointing to the new location using Group Policy.

If anyone can offer assistance in how to make these migrations as painless as possible, I'd greatly appreciate the help.

If I've left out anything, let me know!

Friday, June 15, 2012 12:40 PM

Answers