none
Automatically restart failed tape backup due to Cleaning RRS feed

• Question

• Enviroment =  DPM 2012 SP1 on 20012 R2, database SQL 2012

Tape Library = Dell PowerVault TL2000

Tape Drive = IBM ULT3580 -TD4

---------------------------------------------------------------

Issue: The Library automatically cleans the drive when dirty. DPM tape backups that are in progress fail when this occurs.   How do I tell DPM to automatically retry the tape backup after a certain period?

Logging back in manually to restart the failed tape backup is not an effective solution.  I'm not always available to do this and I lose hours of time that could have been spent writing data to tape.

Monday, March 24, 2014 6:59 PM

Answers

• Hi,

You can schedule a DPM powershell script to resume tape backups.

$Alert=get-dpmalert
    Resume-DPMBackup -BackupTargetType tape -alert $alert

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, March 25, 2014 10:08 PM
  • Hi,

Yes, - if there are no alerts related to tape backups, then nothing will happen, so no harm to run it every couple hours. 

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, March 26, 2014 11:56 PM

All replies

• Hi,

You can schedule a DPM powershell script to resume tape backups.

$Alert=get-dpmalert
    Resume-DPMBackup -BackupTargetType tape -alert $alert

Tuesday, March 25, 2014 10:08 PM
  • Are you saying I should just schedule this to execute every 2 hours or something?  
    Wednesday, March 26, 2014 4:31 PM
  • Hi,

Yes, - if there are no alerts related to tape backups, then nothing will happen, so no harm to run it every couple hours. 

Wednesday, March 26, 2014 11:56 PM
  • Should this be done with Task Scheduler, or is there a mechanism within DPM 2012?

Thanks!

-Ken

Friday, January 6, 2017 7:43 PM