none
User creation dialog design and usability

General discussion

• Compared to the many major and blocking issues for enterprise customers like the inability to use Microsoft accounts and modern apps with roaming profiles and domain-joined machines and the ridiculous reset of user-chosen file associations and this is a very minor thing.

When creating a local user account Microsoft is very inconsistent within the dialogs and button positions. I remember that years ago it was Microsoft complaining about skinned apps and inconsistent UI of 3rd parties. But see yourself:

The first dialog when creating a new user account:

Create user account, screen 1

Note: "Next" button is left, Abort on the right.

Then I click on the "I don't know the logon information..." link to create a local user:

Create user account, screen 2

Now of course it asks me to create a Microsoft account. Again "Next" is on the left and "Back" is on the right now. Though this is somehow confusing as most applications use the next button on the right and a back button on the left which is also according to typical reading direction from-left-to-right, at  least in western culture. Also the cancel button is missing now (I know I can click the X to the top-right, but users should be provided an UI button to cancel wizards at any step). However I go on clicking the link to add an account without Microsoft account (local user):

Create user account, screen 3

And bang. I get a dialog which is not only showing the "next" button to the right and the "back" button on the left but it's also shown in different color and still no cancel button.

So this is very weird inconsistency and it happened to me many times already clicking the "back" button on the last dialog and of course I need to re-enter all data again when proceeding from the previous dialog. Very annoying. This is specifically ridiculous as a single dialog would be sufficient as well, just provide a single screen with a drop-down or radio button to select whether to use an existing microsoft account, create a new microsoft account or create a local account. No need for this lengthy and cumbersome process to go through all this dialogs and clicking small links just to finally find the "hidden" feature to work with a local account. Especially when each step is followed by the famous loading-circle animation as if the dialogs are loaded via 9600bps modem on my brand-new core i7 machine with 32GB of memory and fast SSD. On older machines this really feels terrible slow and prevents any fluent working process as between each step there is a delay. Sure you can claim you don't have to create accounts every day but this here is just an example and there are many more similar wizards in Win10 which are no fun to use at all. I am even faster opening a command prompt and use "net user" to create and configure accounts.

Sunday, February 21, 2016 11:49 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for your advice. It's recommended you submit this feedback via the built-in Feedback App.

Although the design meets the most users' needs, however it is still not perfect. Please be assured that any improvements in the product are based on users' requirements. Our developers strive to capture Microsoft users' ideas and are working hard to create a more powerful and easy-to-use product.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, February 23, 2016 3:05 AM
  • Thanks for your advice. It's recommended you submit this feedback via the built-in Feedback App.

Although the design meets the most users' needs, however it is still not perfect. Please be assured that any improvements in the product are based on users' requirements. Our developers strive to capture Microsoft users' ideas and are working hard to create a more powerful and easy-to-use product.

Well I would, if modern apps would not just crash randomly (including the feedback app) on any of my raoming-profile-enabled domain-joined computers: https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/d861e179-6515-4322-a628-b7e73b2335e8/cannot-add-a-microsoft-account-to-domain-account-with-roaming-profiles

Though I did try to connect with my microsoft account on a stand-alone installation and feedback keeps telling me that my diagnosis and usagem setting of my organization does not allow windows feedback... WTF.

I did send feedback earlier via the feedback app though and got no feedback, no tracking number, no information. Totally useless.

The second part of your answer... I don't even comment apart of my feedback that I regard such standard responses as an insult as such.

Tuesday, February 23, 2016 7:41 AM
  • Hi,

Please understand that our development engineer need more time to focus on every submit and working on them.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, February 29, 2016 9:32 AM
  • Microsoft seems to have fixed at least the look-and-feel the issue. Now the last dialog also looks like the first two ones when creating a new local account.
    Tuesday, November 29, 2016 7:31 AM