Using Keyboard combinations to open shortcuts using CTRL+ALT+<letter or number> RRS feed

• Question

•  

I very much like and use this feature all day at work as it works very well with my workflow.  However, the downside to me is that my desktop is overly cluttered with shortcuts to programs and files that I never need to see because I will only use the keyboard combo to open.  This makes it harder to find the desktop stuff that I do use and want to find (additionally, the desktop occasionally resets itself and looses the locations that I put files so visual grouping alone is not enough).  Yet, if I put any of the shortcuts inside a folder on the desktop, the keyboard combo no longer works...

At home I use Fences, and shortcuts still work and I really like it.  Unfortunately, Fences is not supported by our IT dept and so cannot install it.  I think I really need built in windows functionality. 

Is there somewhere I can tuck away all my shortcuts so that I don't have to look at all of them on my desktop but the keyboard shortcut (ctrl+alt+<number/letter>) will still work?  Or any other functionality where I can get the same result of a clean desktop but use keyboard to open files/programs?

Thanks!

Friday, June 12, 2015 1:16 PM

Answers

• Hi LOOregano,

I didn`t test the shortcut after a restarting. I tested it again and it shares the same symptom as yours.
    After a deep research, I found that we should create the shortcut in this folder.C:\Users\username \AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\shortcut(name it as you prefer ). It will work well. I hope it will work for you, too.
    If the issue persists, please create a new account to have a check. The present account may have been corrupted.

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, June 17, 2015 3:29 AM
  • MeipoXu,

As an added benefit, I have now been using this for several days and having these in the sub directory that you directed me to actually fixes another annoying problem that I have tolerated for years when the shortcuts where on the desktop. 

Approximately 5%-20% of the times I used the keyboard shortcuts to open programs, there would be an apparently random but long delay and instead of opening the program immediately, it would take about 15 seconds while freezing up the entire desktop so nothing could be done!  Several times I inquired and searched for solutions to this but never found one. 

However, putting them in the users start menu folder not only got these shortcuts off my desktop, but in the several days of using I have not yet had the long delay to open the shortcut.  So it either fixed this issue also, or at least reduced the frequency of it occurring.  Thanks again!!!

• Marked as answer by LOOregano Tuesday, June 23, 2015 8:40 PM
    • Edited by LOOregano Tuesday, June 23, 2015 8:41 PM
    Tuesday, June 23, 2015 8:40 PM

All replies

• Hi LOOregano,

"Yet, if I put any of the shortcuts inside a folder on the desktop, the keyboard combo no longer works"
    Once the shortcut is created, it should not be moved or it won`t work.

For your situation, we can create a new folder (name it as Shortcut) on the desktop and create new shortcut(right click the blank space and choose new shortcut) in the new folder(Shortcut). For each shortcut, browser to the file/program location you want to assign the shortcut to open. After creating the shortcut then right click the shortcut chooose the properties, configure the keyboard combination to open this keyboard. If there are many combinations to be remembered, we can record them in a file to search.

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, June 15, 2015 3:23 AM
  • I was all excited and getting ready to mark your reply as an answer, however I restarted my computer to make sure that the shortcut would stick but once I logged in, the shortcuts no longer worked!  To test I tried shortcuts with the following 2 methods:

1. Created one shortcut exactly as you stated: Creating shortcut from scratch, adding the keyboard shortcut, and then not changing that shortcut in any way
    2. Created other shortcuts just by removing the keyboard combo, moving to the new location, and then adding back the keyboard combo after in its final destination.

In both of these cases, before I restarted my computer all the shortcuts worked using the keyboard combo.  However after restarting my computer none of the shortcut key combos now work. 

I even tried adding the folder as a toolbar on my taskbar so that in a sense it is always open.  Apparently that doesn't work either.

Any ideas on how to get this, or another method, to work?

Thanks!

Tuesday, June 16, 2015 4:57 PM
  • Hi LOOregano,

I didn`t test the shortcut after a restarting. I tested it again and it shares the same symptom as yours.
    After a deep research, I found that we should create the shortcut in this folder.C:\Users\username \AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\shortcut(name it as you prefer ). It will work well. I hope it will work for you, too.
    If the issue persists, please create a new account to have a check. The present account may have been corrupted.

Best regards

Wednesday, June 17, 2015 3:29 AM
  • Hi LOOregano,

Best regards

That seemed to have done it! I don't know where, or how, you found the documentation that it would work under the user's start menu, but am so glad you did! Even after a full windows shutdown and restart the shortcut keys work. I just moved all the icons to that folder location (didn't recreate or reset them); they did not work, until I shutdown and restarted my computer. 

Thanks to this trick that you found, my desktop now has 22 less shortcut icons which makes it far less cluttered (that accounted for about 1/3 of my desktop icons!)!  Brilliant and THANK YOU!:-)

I think that this help page should also be updated with the locations where these shortcuts will work after a windows restart:
    http:// windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/create-keyboard-shortcuts-open-programs#1TC=windows-7

Wednesday, June 17, 2015 10:08 PM
  • MeipoXu,

As an added benefit, I have now been using this for several days and having these in the sub directory that you directed me to actually fixes another annoying problem that I have tolerated for years when the shortcuts where on the desktop. 

Approximately 5%-20% of the times I used the keyboard shortcuts to open programs, there would be an apparently random but long delay and instead of opening the program immediately, it would take about 15 seconds while freezing up the entire desktop so nothing could be done!  Several times I inquired and searched for solutions to this but never found one. 

However, putting them in the users start menu folder not only got these shortcuts off my desktop, but in the several days of using I have not yet had the long delay to open the shortcut.  So it either fixed this issue also, or at least reduced the frequency of it occurring.  Thanks again!!!

• Marked as answer by LOOregano Tuesday, June 23, 2015 8:40 PM
    • Edited by LOOregano Tuesday, June 23, 2015 8:41 PM
    Tuesday, June 23, 2015 8:40 PM